Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First day of school

After 2 days of anticipation (thanks to TS Fay), my son E started 3rd grade. He'd been excited for school to start, but this morning he admitted he was nervous. Remember that feeling? Even when it's the same school, it's a bit nerve-racking to walk into a new classroom with a new teacher and a new curriculum. Third grade in Florida is especially rough, since that's when the FCAT exams are first given. All year that will be the focus: getting ready for FCAT.

I met his teacher, Ms. P. She seemed very nice. As I watched her I realized, this is a tough week for her too. At least by now, many of the kids know each other, and once they find their friends they can relax a little. But the teacher doesn't know anyone; she has to start learning not only their names, but their strengths, their weaknesses, behavior patterns, etc. It's like bringing home a newborn baby. You have to learn their cries to know when they're hungry, tired, wet, or just need cuddling. I felt a great compassion for Ms. P. As I walked past, I wished her a good first day of school. Teachers need to know we appreciate the stuggles they go through, especially that first day. If your kids are in school, remember to say a prayer for their teachers. They're looking after our children's education.

No comments: