Thursday, September 11, 2008

Dressing the part

Tuesday was my son E's open house at school. As I prepared to get dressed, I looked at the options in my closet. Back when I was working I would come home, cook up something quick or serve whatever I'd picked up on my way home, and run off to open house in the clothes I'd gone to work in. I dressed fairly nicely; we had a dress code and weren't allowed to wear jeans or t-shirts most days. Now that I'm a stay at home wife and mom I realized that I had the choice of wearing something very casual, jeans or capri's and some ole shirt & flip flops. Instead, I chose to wear a nice blouse & skirt with matching sandals. Why? Because I wanted to show my son how important he is to me. Sure, I could dress "comfortably", in just anything. But if I dress up for work, shouldn't I dress up for my family? Don't they matter to me more?

When I was working, I'd iron clothes daily, style my hair & put on a full face of makeup. I did this routine Monday thru Friday. When Saturday came along, I was tired of dressing up, and I'd wear ratty t-shirts & shorts, or (horror!) my pj's or a house dress, until it was time to go grocery shopping, when I'd put on bermuda shorts or jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers. And makeup? No way! But as I started to see my future at home I thought, "Is this how I want my family to see me?" The last thing I wanted was for them to think that I valued my job outside the home more than the responsibility I had inside. So I purposed to look my best everyday. I change out of my jammies daily; no ratty shorts or shirts, but if I wear jeans or capri's I make sure they look neat. When I go grocery shopping or out to run errands, I fix my hair nicely (no more hair clips!) and put on some makeup - not necessarily full makeup, but some blush, mascara & lipstick. And when I have something to do with my sons, daughter or husband, I'll be sure to dress as pretty as possible. I know my little one is only 8 years old, and he probably won't notice it much now. But one day I hope my kids will look back and remember that they mattered enough to their mom that she'd look her best for them. Because they do.

1 comment:

Kristin-Homemaker@Heart said...

I am the same way. I pick out my clothes, jewlery, make-up, hair barettes and perfume before I go to bed during the week, but on my days off. It's "house clothes". Which consist of ratty tee shirts and my tan cotton capris or my black sweat pants.
My goal for September is to dress nicely all the time. Not to the nines, but no more ratty tee shirts. I threw them away.
And out of Pj's in the morning. LOL
I kept my capris! hehe