Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Gratitude Checklist

I was reading this Gratitude Checklist over at http://illbeback-kelly.blogspot.com/2008/09/gratitude-check-list.html that Marybeth Whalen wrote about (http://marybethwhalen.blogspot.com/). Kelly is going through a rough period, yet she looks for things to be thankful for. What an inspiration! I then thought, I have so much to be thankful for, why not make my own list? I'll start with 5 things:

1 - I'm thankful that after 28 years of working outside the home, I get to be a stay at home wife and mother, dedicated primarily to the care of my home and family.

2 - I'm thankful for my husband who works hard to support our family and has assured me over and over that I'm not to worry about money even though I'm not working.

3 - I'm thankful for 3 great kids, true blessings from heaven. I'm thankful that my oldest son still lives at home, my daughter is away at college but still makes time to go to church twice a week, and my youngest son is trying so hard to do his best in school. I couldn't ask for a better family.

4 - I'm thankful for my friend LN. She's in my small group again, and was actually the only one who showed up today (the others had valid excuses). We still had our Bible study together and were able to share our hearts and pray for each other. Friends like her are such a blessing.

5 - I'm thankful for our church. The Lord led me to this church 5 years ago and I've learned and grown so much here.

6 - I'm thankful for children's ministry. Boy do I love those kids! I get to teach them every 3 weeks which is service to my church, but sometimes I feel like I'm cheating because I get more out of it than the kids do.

7 - I'm thankful for budgets. I've written everything out on a spreadsheet and by God's grace we are able to live on one income so long as we stick to the budget. Thank God we were able to pay off all the debt we could before I got laid off. Other than one small monthly bill all our other debt is current (house payment, phones, electric, that sort of thing). Once I chose to trust the Lord with our finances and not worry about it, everything fell into place.

Okay, I said 5 and ended up with 7. I can't help it, I am so Blessed!! But I'll save some for another post. Gotta say, just looking at these few reasons I have to be thankful has filled me with joy and gratitude to my Maker. He is Truly Good.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Thank you, Arlene, for your nice words! I do covet and thank you for your prayers for our situation with my husband being on strike. In the natural, it's easy to panic, but when I do focus on our blessings, I know God is taking good care of us!
Come by and visit sometime again at my blog!
Blessings to you today,
Kelly