Friday, October 10, 2008

Today's Blessings

Looking back at the day and realizing our blessings makes me grateful to my Lord and Savior for all He does for me. It's a way to worship and praise Him from whom all blessings flow.

1 - I went to the unemployment office today. I've never received unemployment compensation in my life, so I didn't know what to expect. The gentleman was kind and explained my benefits to me. When he asked about going back to work, I explained that I'd been seeking employment for over a year with no success, and now that I'm home I've realized that the Lord wants me to spend more time tending to my home and family, so I won't consider anything that isn't part time. I figured that might get a not-too-happy response. Instead he said, "Well, the Lord knows best." I was so encouraged by his answer! I had been so worried about what this orientation was going to be like, and God assured me, yet again because it seems I just don't get it, that He is in control and keeping me where He wants me to be.

2 - Afterwards I went grocery shopping. Since I'm not working I'm learning to be even more frugal with money, understanding more than ever what it means to be good stewards of what God has given us. I'm happy to say I spent $100.09 total for the week to feed a family of 4, of which 3 are males with healthy appetites. I was also blessed when I went to put gas in my car, to see that gas at our local Costco is $3.22/gallon. Price is going down! But this is more than just about spending money wisely. I realize that many people in this world, even in our own nation, don't have food to put on their tables. Do you know that most households around the world don't own a car? Yet God has blessed my family with three. What about homes? Americans complain about the size of their homes, yet in most countries my 1700 square foot home is a mansion. To me, it's a haven for my family, where there's always an abundance of love to go around, and that's a huge blessing.

3 - I got home and started cooking right away. Lunch was almost done when my dh got home, starving as he usually is. What a blessing to be home when he gets here, to be able to serve him his meal and see him eat heartily and enjoy every bite. Makes my heart sing.

4 - I threw a load of laundry into the washing machine, then the dryer. No washing by hand and hanging outside to dry on a rainy afternoon. I know I appreciate having the modern conveniences of the home (whoever invented the dishwasher, I have 2 words: Thank You!).

5 - After painting the boys room and getting everything reorganized, I mentioned to my youngest son that it would be a good idea to weed out all his unused toys to give away. He actually came home from school and told me he was ready to start. And he did a great job; I put out 2 laundry baskets, one for keepers and one for give away. He filled up the give away basket, and not with broken useless toys. He even wanted to put some of his toys in the shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. I had to explain to him that only new toys in their original packages could be sent to these disadvantaged children. After all, would he want someone else's old toys for Christmas? He was very understanding, and I was touched by his spirit of giving and sharing. It's moments like this that I can see how God's word and teachings are impacting his young life. I can't think of a better blessing.

So, have you counted your blessings today?

1 comment:

Kristin-Homemaker@Heart said...

re: you know I have exema as well and have very sensitive skin. I've washed about 8 loads with the soap so far and nothing out of the ordinary. I've even washed Kylie's clothes too.
I will not wash my undies in it though. Only woolite...bad experience once when I started doing my own laundry...I won't go into detail. And I've washed my bedding in it too. All seems fine.