Saturday, December 6, 2008

Learning to be a better shopper

I've always considered myself to be a smart shopper. Look for bargains, check sales, that sort of thing. As of late, though, I'd gotten into the habit of buying just because I felt myself deserving. I worked hard, so a little indulgence wouldn't hurt, right? This was especially true when it came to shopping for clothes.

I love clothes. There, I've said it. The first step to healing is admitting you have a problem, right? Of course, I didn't consider it a problem when I was working. If I spent $200 or more on a shopping spree, so what? I needed clothes for work, for play, for church, for any special occasion that was coming up. There was always an excuse. I'd get upset when the same outfits I'd paid full price for were on sale, but not too upset. I'd gotten them when I needed them, and that's all that mattered.

Times have changed now. I don't have a lot of "dispensible" income. Two kids in college, one in elementary school, with one salary, is not a recipe for overspending. We've purposed to stay out of debt, so I've had to curb my spending. It hasn't been easy, but I saw this week how my heavenly Father is teaching me not only good spending habits, but patience as well.

My very favorite clothing store is New York and Company. I probably buy 95% or more of my outfits there. They have clothes appropriate for women my age, which is nice, since so many stores are geared to a much younger market. Whenever I was in the mall last month (several times doing my Christmas shopping) I'd stop by my favorite store and take a look at what they had. Oh, such lovely blouses, such nice dress pants, even some sales! But try as I may, I couldn't find anything that I liked at a price that would justify purchasing it. I bought a purse for myself and a couple as gifts only because they were on sale for $9.99. Surprisingly, instead of leaving the mall depressed because I hadn't found anything to buy, I'd feel glad that I hadn't spent money unnecessarily. Little did I know that was the lesson my Father was teaching me.

A coupon came in the mail from NY&C due to the whole Black Friday thing, with an additional coupon that would expire December 8. Since my birthday is coming up this month and my hubby had asked what I wanted, I told him I'd like to see if I could get some clothes with the coupon I'd received. He thought it was a good idea and told me to go ahead and pick out my gift. I figured I'd find one outfit and that would be that. I was shocked when I got to the store. EVERYTHING was on sale! All blouses and sweaters were 50% off. Dress pants were insanely reduced. I was in shoppers heaven! I was able to get 2 pairs of dress pants, two blouses and a skirt, 5 pieces, for just over $57.00. Thanks to the sales and the coupon I saved over $129.00!! I realized then that my Father had kept me from buying when prices were higher, and because I obeyed Him, I was able to get what I wanted and more, without spending a fortune.

Now I understand the apostle Paul when he said, "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." (Hebrews 12:11). Obedience is worth more than anything to the Lord, and when we obey, we are greatly rewarded . Obedience with money is one of the hardest, because we don't always think God cares about money matters, or we assume it's our money because we earned it. Letting God be in charge of our money has been one of the biggest teachings I've received since I stopped working. But I'm sure He has many more lessons in store for me.

1 comment:

Mrs. O said...

God really does provide, doesn't He? In fact, He pointed me to a wonderful gift for you that I'll be sending out this week - it'll be your b-day/Christmas gift. :) I just know you'll love it. Oh, and I LOVE your tree!
Love ya.