Thursday, February 26, 2009

Angels from above

I don't believe in coincidences. I believe God puts us in certain places, at certain times, with certain people, so that He can bless us. He's done this for me time and time again, and He's done it for me yet again.

I'm leading a women's bible study group on Fridays. We get to discuss God's word, have fellowship, pray for one another, and draw from each other. I've done this now for 6 seasons, and I'm glad to be able to do it again. In my group this spring is a dear lady and her 2 daughters. CC happens to be a teacher in my county. I told her about the troubles I'm having with E and that I need to get him tested for a learning disability but am getting no cooperation from his teachers or the school, so I would probably need to get him tested independently. Well, God showed me why He put this wonderful woman in my group. "Arlene," she said to me, "you as a parent have rights which teachers are discouraged from telling you about, but I'm going to tell you. You have the right to request testing for your son, AND you are entitled to get him tested independently, free of charge. Don't pay for outside testing; you pay your taxes, therefore the county must pay for his tests." Now, as I'd mentioned before, the cheapest psychologist I'd found charges $1,200 to have testing done. I went to the Dade County school's website, and searched until I found the Parent Resource Guide. There I found that indeed, I have the legal right to have my child tested if I feel he needs special instruction, and if I disagree with the findings I have the right to a free of charge independent evaluation. I've informed both the teacher and the guidance counselor that I'm aware of my legal rights, which of course they can't deny, and the teacher has now referred me to the school psychologist (I think she's a psychologist; not sure, but the teacher said it's the person who does the testing). I left her a message and am waiting for her call back so I can see about having E tested before March 10 which is when FCAT exams start.

I'm so thankful to the Lord for providing CC, who has no idea how much she has helped me with just a simple phrase. Praise God for His goodness, and bless CC for her kind guidance. Praying for a quick response!

No comments: