Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day Six - Tiling is done!

And it looks absolutely amazing! Won't you come into my lovely master bathroom? Well, it's not completed, but we're so much closer than we were yesterday!
Walking into the bathroom, you can immediately appreciate the dust that is still settling on the floor. I've spent the morning cleaning it with water & vinegar. This was right after the workers were done, so the cleaning hadn't started, just a quick sweep.

The faucet wall. This gave me the biggest headache of all. Originally I'd selected beautiful faucets and showerhead in a Tuscan bronze finish which would have worked perfectly with the colors in the bathroom. Unfortunately, because there is a concrete wall behind what you see here, the plumbing needed to put in the new style of faucets would have required breaking the concrete so the fittings could fit, and that wasn't a financial option. So I took all the bronze stuff I'd bought and tearfully exchanged them for models that would fit in our bathroom, in a brushed nickel. Not my first choice, but not ugly either. Well, when the contractor went to install them, the face plate for the faucet was the wrong size. It had a different type of installation. Back to Lowe's I went. When the salesman saw the face plate I had, he looked at it strangely and asked, "Have you tried Home Depot?" That worried me. It's not like I was at Macy's during Miracle on 34th Street. Anyway, they didn't have what I needed, so sure enough I went to Home Depot. The salesman there also looked at the piece funny, and said he'd never seen a face plate cut the way mine was. It's either a special order or discontinued. He suggested a plumbing supply store. Ugh!! So in the meantime the old faucets are in, the new showerhead is installed, and they don't match. This disturbs me greatly. It has been my one remodeling nightmare.

Here's the wall facing the faucets. I totally love the design! The marble is a chocolate brown with veining the same tan color as the tiles. It has a real custom look.

Our toilets are back! Hubby and I are debating whether to replace the toilet paper holder and towel rack above it. He thinks they're just fine. I want them replaced to match the showerhead. He has one good point: behind both of them is a cement wall, and once they're out that's it, we're stuck with whatever we find. Still, the hardware should be cohesive. Don't men understand how important this is?!

Ah, the vanity area. Still drawing a blank here. Actually, my brother-in-law came today to take the measurements and the design drawing, along with a color sample, and we should have the cabinet finished by Monday. Then we need to make a decision about the vanity top. A business associate of our contractor brought us a sample of a slab of granite he has, and it's stunning. It's from a job he was going to do but it got cancelled. He's willing to sell it to us for $100, which of course is a steal, but we'd have to pay someone to install it and cut out the holes for the sink & faucets. That's an additional $250. We saw a complete vanity top at Lowe's in cultured marble that also matches and it costs $209. Just one problem with the Lowe's vanity top: it's ugly. At least I think it is, Hubby thinks it looks just fine. So that's going to be another issue come next week.

Well, back to cleaning. There's still a ton of dust everywhere, and it's irritating our allergies. But each time I look inside my bathroom, I sigh. It won't be long now.


No comments: