Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mid-week update

Monday I was able to get to the tile store and purchase most of what we need to get the bathroom tile work done. The particular store I went to is an outlet store, so the pricing is better than even Home Depot but it's important to be sure not to get something that will go on clearance within the next month, in case more materials are needed. I took a chance, though, on some decorative marble tiles. I've learned from watching HGTV, that while using high-end materials on a complete remodel might be out of financial range, using these same materials as accent pieces makes it affordable while also giving the remodel a custom high-end look. So I "splurged" on some absolutely gorgeous chocolate brown marble tiles that cost $6.25 EACH (12X12). Insane, isn't it? But I'm only using them as a border and accent pieces in the tub area, which means I only need 4 of them. For this special unique look I'm paying $25.16. Not bad, huh? Since I was also able to get travertine tiles at an incredible price ($1.49/sq ft on sale!!), for our master bathroom we're spending under $800 in materials. It's a fairly large bathroom, with a roman tub, 60" vanity, toilet and bidet, plus both my and my husband's walk-in closets, so I think what we're paying for tiles is a steal. Only it isn't! God not only blessed us with the money to pay for this remodel, He's showing me how to shop so that I can get more for less. Thank You Jesus!!

I drive a Mitsubishi Montero Sport, an mid-size SUV with plenty of space when the seats are folded down, which I did before heading out to the tile store. I was able to fit all the tiles in my car - 672 - 4X4 tiles, 98 - 16X16 tiles, all travertine, all EXTREMELY heavy, 4 - 12X12 marble tiles, 5 - 50 lb bags of thin-set, plus 2 bags of grout and a bottle of sealant. The tile store is in the next city, way at the OTHER end of where I live, and with such a load I couldn't take the expressway because if I had to hit the brake too quickly the tiles would have gone through the windshield. So I drove home slowly and with lots of care, and when I got home my hubby was there and between the two of us we unloaded everything. I thought we were done, but my husband told me we'd also need cement board. Like I know what that is! Turns out it's like sheetrock, but it goes on the inside of the tub area and resists moisture and mold. Yep, guess we do need that stuff! I checked online and found that Lowe's price is cheaper than Home Depot, so I was going to go there today, but E came home from school yesterday with a raspy throat and this morning he had a fever of 102.4, so I won't be going out with him today. No problem, the contractor is scheduled to start work on Monday so I still have time.

Next thing is the vanity. I already know what I want and my hubby is shopping the design around. Because ours is an oversized vanity it's a little harder to find than the little ones the home improvement stores stock. I found a beautiful one at Lowe's, but hubby said it's made of cheap materials and if we're going to all this trouble to redo the bathroom we need to get it done right. I agree. Hopefully his brother (who is a carpenter) can get this done for us. We also need a vanity top. Those can run from as little as $200 to as much as a couple thousand. I'm seeking God's wisdom on what's best, though I'm pretty sure He's not going to direct me to the exorbitantly priced stuff. I can't deny I'm excited about having the bathroom redone, though the very thought of the mess it's going to create sends me into spasms. Oh well, you know what they say, no pain no gain!

1 comment:

Mrs. O said...

I'm glad you're doing this now because I'll be able to see the finished work in September!! Yay!!