Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Here We Go Again!

The master bath is completed, so it's time to start renovating the 2nd bathroom. This one's in the hallway between the master bedroom & the kids' rooms. Here's the view before demolition began:

The tub area. The decorative tile in the center seems a different color, doesn't it? That's because water had already seeped through the grout and the wall behind it was wet. This tile was the first to come tumbling down.
The showerhead is fairly new. I got it at Costco probably about a year ago when it was on sale. It's the only really nice thing in the bathroom.

There was no medicine cabinet in this bathroom, so I bought this little number at Wal-mart for $25 when we first moved in. As you can see I got what I paid for. It's in the trash now; it was pretty beat up though it doesn't show the wear and tear so much in this picture.


Here's something I can't wait to replace - the vanity. It is so ugly!!! Boring, too. I plan to have something much lovelier in its place.

I got this flowery shower curtain at Target some years ago, and it's still in good condition, but I'm replacing it with a darker one that I also got at Target. They have such nice things, items that look very upscale but at a much more reasonable price.

This is the wall after my hubby and I got started. We're tearing this bathroom up ourselves, so as to save some money. I wanted to demo the master also, but hubby said it was more work than he had time to do. This bathroom is probably half the size of our master bath, so it's not so big a project.

Hubby had a little accident when tearing up this wall. There was a ceramic soap dish that broke in half when he first hit it. When he went to swing again, his hand hit the soap dish and he cut his finger pretty bad. I had to play nurse and bandage him up 3 times so the blood would stop. After that my older son and I insisted he give it a rest.

Most of this wall, which is the wall immediately opposite the door, I took apart. It wasn't hard at all; there was so much water damage the tiles came off with little effort.

Hubby was back on the job today, finishing up the tiles around the tub. I know, I know, he's got great legs. That's why I couldn't resist taking the picture!
Work continues tomorrow. We have to take out the floor tiles, and before we can do that the vanity has to be removed. I can't wait! I'll be tile shopping tomorrow also. I have a planned design in my head, so hopefully I can find the tiles to bring my design into fruition. Stay tuned!!

2 comments:

Mrs. O said...

Will the design have any Disney in it? Anything at all? Awww, shucks!! Haha. And why'd you take a picture of my bro-in-law in his undies? LOL Did he tell you a thing or two when he heard the camera?

Arlene said...

You're such a wisenheimer.

No, no Disney designs in the bathroom. I love Mickey but I'm not obsessed with him (hint hint). If I were to go with my obsession, it would be a Christmas themed bath.

And no, those are not my hubby's undies, they're a pair of old baseball pants that he cut to keep comfy. To be honest, I don't know if he even noticed that I took the pic!