Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Let's Go Fly a Kite!

Sunday my son and I went to our local park (conveniently located across the street from our house) to fly his new kite. We had such a good time! What a great way to get fresh air and exercise while having fun.

I found this kite at Costco for $12.99. It's in the shape of a shark, with a wide wing span. It's 62" long, so it's bigger than my son. He named it Blue Jet, because it's blue and flies like a jet (very creative, don't you think?).

We'd been to the park the previous week and some kids were flying kites. One of the boys let my son try it and he was fascinated. All week long he kept begging me to "Please please Mommy buy me a kite, I want to go kite flying." I couldn't resist.

Sunday was very breezy, so getting Blue Jet off the ground was not a problem at all. We were thrilled to watch it take off.

Running with kite in hand is fun, and the physical activity is a plus.

The kite is nowhere near the pole. It just looks that way in the picture. At this point we weren't even flying it that high.

The skies were a bit overcast but we didn't get any rain. Blue Jet was able to fly high for a good 2 1/2 hours.

Of course, we weren't the only ones enjoying the perfect kite weather. It was so nice seeing parents out with their kids, spending family time together in a fun-filled activity that doesn't include video games or television sets. It's good old fashioned family fun. I hope more families will be encouraged to do the same. Kids will remember this more than the time spent with Super Mario, trust me.

No comments: