Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Blessings Continue

Let's talk about how wonderful God is, shall we? As I've posted over the past few weeks, we've been remodeling the 2nd bathroom in our home after God lovingly blessed us with the funds to fix not one but both our bathrooms (you can read about that here). The budget for the 2nd bathroom is tight, and as anyone who's ever remodeled can tell you, it's very easy to go over budget. We were already maxed out and still had to purchase the vanity top. I'd looked at several, some pretty, others nice, and some downright ugly. There was one top at Home Depot in a beige granite that was okay, with a bone colored sink, that cost $199.00 (the toilet and tub are bone colored, so I wanted everything to match). The side-splash was sold separately for an additional $25.00. I didn't want to have to go over another $225.00 on our budget, so I decided it would be a good idea to keep shopping around. I had to go back to the tile store this week to return some unused tiles, and since they have some vanity tops there I thought I'd check them out. There was a lovely brown and black granite top that went for $209.00, but wasn't available with a bone sink. Although the granite was beautiful, it didn't feel right to spend the $209.00, so I left. I knew I had to buy caulking and some other supplies, and since the tile store is just a few blocks from Lowe's I figured I'd stop there and buy whatever I needed. Just out of curiosity (not that I thought I'd find anything), I went to the bathroom area to see if there were any vanity tops. Lowe's can be more expensive than Home Depot, but I had nothing to lose by checking. There I found a granite vanity top, the last one of its kind, in the exact size that my vanity is, in a crystal green very similar to the greens that I decorated my bathroom in. To my total shock, the vanity top was a close-out item selling for $83.20! I could not believe it. I moved the box around to verify that I wasn't hallucinating. I even called an associate to ask if I was seeing it correctly. There was just one problem: the sink bowl was white. This was my dillema: go with this exceptionally well priced vanity top even though the bowl is the wrong color, or walk away and keep looking. I called my hubby and told him what was going on. Thankfully he was in the area and swung by the Lowes to see the top for himself. There was none on display, but the associate was kind enough to open the box and let us see the top, which was absolutely gorgeous. The sales associate seemed very interested in getting the item sold, since it was a closeout that had been returned, and we were very interested in saving money, so it worked out for both of us! And the best part is, we got what we wanted at a price we could afford. God knew what we could pay, and He made sure I didn't purchase something that was not to our advantage. Instead, He led me to where I'd get the best deal, and wow, did I ever!

This is the vanity top. We brought it home and dry fitted it. The side-splash, which would have cost us an additional $25.00 at Home Depot, was included with this top, so we didn't have to pay anything extra. Yay!
Hubby and I installed the faucets this morning. Although the sink bowl is white, which was not what I originally wanted, we both agreed the price justified having it be a different color from the other porcelain items in the bathroom. Once it was installed, the difference was not as noticable as I'd thought it would be. Or maybe I just don't care. Regardless, the sink is staying. By the way, aren't the faucets cool?! They reminded me of Aladdin's lamp. I love them!

The light fixture in this bathroom was another thorn in my side. It was just hideous. I never liked it but kept it, don't ask me why. I guess I just ignored it as much as I could.

Of course, with everything else new the yucky light fixture had to go too. I saw one light fixture at Lowe's similar to this one for $54.00. I was able to purchase this beauty at Costco for $19.98. I just love a bargain!
We are close to wrapping up this remodel. The vanity doors and drawer fronts are on order, as are the doors for the medicine cabinet. There are a couple of little details to finish up but the bathroom is in working order which is great. I am so thankful to the Lord for His generous provision. Two beautiful bathrooms for the price of one - who would have thought?

No comments: