Monday, May 11, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today, May 11, 2009...
Outside my window...the sun is blaring once again, and the grass is turning brown. We're on water restriction due to the lack of rain, and it's taking effect on our plants and trees. Each week the weather report says rain, and each week, nothing. I hope we get rain soon. We really need it.
I am thinking...about my son who had to take a project to school and it was falling apart in the car. The teacher had them make a drag race car out of plastic containers and yogurt lids. We used a pop bottle and hot glued it to a base so we could get wheels on it. Well, the hot glue wasn't holding as well as we'd hoped (maybe 'cause it's so hot outside?) and the wheels were coming off. He was so discouraged because he was sure he'd get a bad grade. I told him the teacher would be fair and give him a good grade for trying. I hope I'm right.
I am thankful...for a nice Mother's day with my 3 children. I'm so glad my daughter's in town for Mother's day, otherwise it just wouldn't be the same.
From the learning rooms...my son's teacher informed me last Thursday that my son passed his portfolios. That means that, even if he doesn't pass the FCAT exams, he still passes to the 4th grade. I'm glad he passed, but I'm nervous as well. He still has serious problems with reading comprehension, and fourth grade is tough. We'll have to buckle down this summer to get prepared. Hubby purchased a computer tower, since ours died and it was needed so we could install the home learning curriculum. We're trusting God to provide for this unexpected expense.
From the kitchen...country style pork ribs in the crock pot. Oven fries and coleslaw will complete the picture.
I am wearing...a peach tank top, beige capris and brown sandals. This is my outfit for most of the summer, light tops and capris or skirts (shorts if I'm in the house). I like jeans but they're just too heavy during the summer when the temps hit the high 80's and even the 90's. It's been sweltering here people!
I am creating...still trying to create time for scrapbooking. I hate seeing my baskets in the corner of the dining room, calling out to me to sit a spell and reminisce, and me with a million other things to do. I've GOT to make time, I've just got to.
I am reading...Psalms for morning devotions, Mark for SOAP devotions, and Surviving Financial Meltdown. My hubby, who hates reading anything that doesn't have to do with sports, was actually looking over the book and asking me about it. He said it looked interesting. That was a pleasant surprise. I'll need to sit and discuss what I'm learning with him.
I am hearing...the tick-tock of the clock. There are myriads of birds outside but with the windows closed you can't hear them much. I know, it's a shame, but I'm telling you it's already in the 80's and it's only 9 am. There is absolutely no breeze, so all the ceiling fans need to be on and the a/c needs to be running. There's just no other way.
I am hoping...for rain. Whenever it gets this dry our allergies act up, and my youngest son has had a dry cough the past couple of days due to the dust in the air. I put the vaporizer in his room last night and it seems to have helped.
Around the house...I'm cleaning the kitchen and family room today, along with some laundry. Then maybe this afternoon, some scrapbooking?
One of my favorite things...is sitting down to watch a good movie with my kids. I hope we have time to watch Bolt this week. It's a very cute Disney flick.
Here's a picture thought I'm sharing...actually, I'll be sharing it later on today or tomorrow. My son is about finished setting up the new computer tower. The laptop doesn't have any place for me to plug in my memory chip so I can't download pics onto it, but the new computer does. So once that's all set I can download pics of the bathroom, which is finally completed!!! I'm so thrilled. It turned out beautifully.
Wanna join in the fun? Visit Peggy at the Simple Woman's Daybook. Have a blessed week!

5 comments:

One More Equals Four said...

Wow! We have had so much rain, I am ready to build an ark...I am DYING to see the sun, wish I could send some to you!

Hope all goes well this week, and as a former teacher, I would give your son credit for effort, hopefully his will too.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed visiting your Daybook today. I really shouldn't read them when I'm hungry because the food being made in everyone's kitchen, including yours, is making me awfully hungry! ;0) Have a great day!

Jerralea said...

I hear you on finding the time to scrapbook. I want to do that so badly, also, but just can't find the time right now ...

I enjoyed your daybook, and wish I could send you some of our rain!

Mrs. Jane Doe said...

Along with the rain we have been having, I will also send you some of our breezes. I remember living in Florida and having no breeze at all unless a storm was brewing and wishing for a breeze even a warm one would have been nice to battle the skeeters and noseeums. ;O)

It will be interesting when we come back down to Florida for a visit. My daughter graduates next year and we will see how much we have acclimated to this area up here. ;O)

It is nice to have your family around on special days. I miss my oldest two very much and with schedules these days - both busy with school and work - it is a long time between seeing them.

Have a wonderful week and praying for rain to come your way.

xo

Kristi said...

I wish I had more time to scrapbook as well. I made 3 beautiful scrapbooks for my first 3 children, but mrs. piggy's has been on the shelf, blank, ever since she was born!