Friday, June 19, 2009

An Early Father's Day Surprise

Today was our last day at VBS. As tired as I am from all the running around each day, I know I'm going to miss it. We finally had 59 children accept Christ as their Savior, including children from His House, a local shelter that provides a safe haven for children who are abused, neglected, and need a place to live until they are placed in a foster or permanent home. God was glorified as these children learned to follow Him, worship Him, and live through Him. It was an awesome experience and I'm thankful the Lord allowed me to live it.

After a pizza lunch with the leaders, teachers and helpers, E and I came home, tired but joyous. My son R was in his room. As I walked over to say hi, he looked up at me very seriously and said, "Something happened in A's room." Uh-oh, I thought. "What happened?" I quickly asked. "Take a look," he said. I slowly opened my daughter's bedroom door, and what should I find but my little girl who came down from school to surprise her daddy for Father's Day! Mom was surprised, too. She had told me earlier in the week that they were coming down but the plans had gotten cancelled. Once the trip was a go again she decided it was best to surprise us all. And what a happy surprise it is!! She was in her room when Daddy came home for lunch, so I told him E had a Father's day surprise for him and covered his eyes. Daddy thought E had made something at VBS for him. Instead, when we told him he could open his eyes, he broke out into a big ole smile when he saw his little girl standing in front of him! He was even happier when we told him the reason she came home was for him. Proud Daddy will need to get some buttons sewed back on his shirt!

What a week full of blessings this has been - first with VBS and now a weekend with my baby girl. God is good, all of the time!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

How absolutely wonderful!

Cynthia said...

It is a wonderful thing when a grown child drops back into the home...I miss my three adult kids...love it when they come...ache when they leave!