Monday, June 15, 2009

The First Day of VBS...

...was AWESOME!!! We got to a bit of a late start because of so many last minute sign-ins, but the kids still got to enjoy all the activities and finish in time.

I was so thankful to be put in charge of the 9 year olds, because that meant I could be with my son E. Our schedule is perfect too: after morning worship, we go to Recreation Rock, which is game central. That's what 9 year olds need first - to burn off some steam! Then it's off to snacks at 10:40am. Once they've filled their little tummies, it's off to our Bible class. The teachers did an excellent job of explaining how we make choices in our lives, just as Peter and the apostles made the choice to leave everything to follow Jesus. The last station is Arts and Crafts. This too is fun time; today the kids decorated boomerangs with stickers and markers. These kids are so creative! All the boomerangs were unique, and each was beautiful. Last we go back for worship and prayer before being dismissed. The three hours were up so quickly! It's true what they say: Time flies when you're having fun.

What really impressed me about my group was how well behaved they were! They stayed in the group, were obedient, listened to the lessons and were a joy to work with. I was especially surprised because I had more boys than girls, and 9 year old boys can get rowdy if they're bored. But they all enjoyed the activities and had a great time. I loved how they listened to the Bible lesson, and even one boy who seemed to not be paying attention was able to answer a review question at the end of the lesson. They really are listening! I pray they not only listen, but absorb what they learn so that it stays with them all their lives. I just know God is going to do some amazing transformations in these children this week. I'm ready for tomorrow!

No comments: