Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'm exhausted

Ever have one of those days? Or weeks? I hope I can recover from this one.

It started out good, with Vacation Bible School keeping our mornings busy with activities, learning, and most important, worship. Monday I used my brains and prepared pepper steak in the crock pot, so all I had to do was make white rice when I got home. I did laundry, tidied up the house, and seemed to be getting everything done that needed getting done. My hubby wasn't having such a good day, though. He complained about a headache Sunday night, and Monday he wasn't feeling better. His neck was stiff, so I told him it was probably a pulled muscle that needed some heat and ibuprofen. All in all a busy but productive day.

Tuesday, VBS again, only this time I didn't put anything in the crock pot. I made kielbasa sausage and rice with veggies, which is pretty quick, but I wasn't prepared for how tuckered out I'd be. I had laundry to do also, and ironing. I didn't get the bathrooms done because I was just too tired. Hubby was still complaining of a headache. Based on his description I thought it was a tension headache. He insisted it was a migraine. I suffer from migraines, and I was pretty sure what he was experiencing wasn't a migraine. More ibuprofen, and heating pads allowed him to get some sleep.

Yesterday started out the same. VBS was awesome, with 57 children confessing Jesus as their Lord and Savior. My group is the 9 year olds, and about half of them prayed to receive Jesus. Parents were in tears when they found out their young blessings had chosen to follow Jesus. What an amazing experience! When I got home, I made ground beef, rice, tried some frozen french fries my husband's company is considering selling (hopefully they won't; they're awful!), and continued with laundry. Hubby asked me to make him an appointment with the doctor. The headache was just not going away. I called and got the answering service, so I left a message. I also went on the internet looking up his symptoms, and again told him it appeared to be a tension headache. He wasn't so sure, but I told him I'd get the appointment as soon as the office called back. Instead, at 10:30pm we were on our way to the hospital. He couldn't turn his neck because it hurt so bad, his head felt like it would explode, and the pain was now affecting his back. As we drove up to the emergency room, I noticed the parking lot was WAY more packed than we've ever seen it. Great, I thought, we're in for a long night. As we sat in the waiting room I said to my hubby, "Let's see how accurate my physician's skills are. The doctor will tell you it's a tension headache and prescribe a muscle relaxant and pain killers. You'll probably have a CT scan before we leave." His answer: "Let's see how accurate my timing is. We'll get out of here at 4:30 in the morning." We were 2 for 2. After an examination which included a CT scan, it was determined that my husband had a tension headache. He was given the medications I'd told him they'd give him. And we left the hospital at 4:24am. Thankfully the hospital is close to home; I was in bed by 4:40am. Unfortunately, I was awake at 7:00am. I got up and got ready for VBS, went to the pharmacy first to pick up hubby's meds, then after a "nutritious" breakfast of glazed donuts (no time to prepare anything), E and I left for VBS. Another great day with the children, but by the time we left I just wanted to crash. However, I stopped at Costco for gas ($2.62 a gallon; what's that all about?!) then at KFC because I was just too tired to cook. After our meal I finally laid down to rest for about a half hour before running to the library to drop off the books we read this week and get some new ones. I wanted to get a quick nap again before heading out to my hubby's cousin's house for her daughter's third birthday but I can't seem to get to sleep. I sure hope I can get a good night's sleep tonight. Tomorrow is the last day of VBS, which has been wonderful, but I could use some rest! I'm thankful to the Lord, though, that despite all the problems that popped up I was still able to enjoy being with the children this week and seeing God move in their young lives. It's totally worth all the effort put into it, to see children dedicate their lives to the Lord.

"But Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 19:14

2 comments:

Mrs. O said...

Please have J follow up with a neurologist as soon as possible. A CT scan will not show blood flow and there may be something there that caused that headache. It could be a number of things that can cause a pain that bad with neck stiffness. Remember, I've "been there, done that" and a simple CT scan will NOT show everything. Please make sure he does that ... it's really SO VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! Love ya!

LISA said...

I ditto the previous comment. I am glad you went to the hospital. I just received a prayer request for a 37 year old, very fit man that has suffered a stroke. I was reading your post holding my breathe and hoping that you were not going to say that. Your husbands symptoms sounded the same. The man that had the stroke had blood clots on his brain. Please keep us informed of any changes.
Also, I am glad your VBS was so wonderful. We will be in VBS this week (beginning 6/21) I would so appreciate your prayers. God really did sustain you physically this week.
Sorry this was so long:)