Monday, June 29, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook

For today, June 29. 2009...

Outside my window...it's getting dark, the wind is picking up, and the threat of rain is upon us. Strange, we've been getting rain in the afternoon, not the mornings. Still, it's a blessing to receive rain daily after such a dry winter and spring. No more water restrictions!

I am thinking...about small groups this week. We're doing a short run of small groups this summer for the first time. I'm scheduled to lead a woman's small group on Friday. I've got 6 women signed up, but after emailing them I haven't heard back. I'll have to give them all a call today.

I am thankful for...small groups. While our church is certainly not a mega-church, it's been growing steadily, praise the Lord. Small groups have allowed me to meet people I haven't been acquainted with at church, and it has brought some amazing women into my life.

From the learning rooms...still reading about Nicaragua. Also doing reading everyday. We finished Ribsy by Beverly Cleary, and Roscoe Riley Rules #4 by Katherine Applegate (very funny!). We've started That Crazy Eddie and the Science Project of Doom by Judy Cox, which I suspect we'll finish today or tomorrow. My son is really enjoying the books we're reading, which is great since he typically doesn't like reading. I want him to understand that reading can be fun, not just a school assignment.

I am hoping...the approaching storm doesn't knock out the electricity. I've got food in the crock pots!

From the kitchen...pot roast in one crock pot, pinto beans in the other. I've got stuff to do today, and I don't want to have to stop to cook.

I am wearing...AAHHH!! I haven't changed yet! It's the second week in a row, too. I've got to get out of my sleeping attire and into day clothes.

I am creating...scrapbook plans. I actually got a beginner's book on scrapbooking out of the library to help inspire me with some ideas. It worked. I've just got to get started.

I am reading...Jeremiah for morning devotions, still on Luke for SOAP devotions. I've ordered the book Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer for small groups, and Passionate Housewives Desperate for God for my own reading. I also want to borrow Sense and Sensibility from the library. I love the classics.

I am hearing...thunder in the background, cartoons in the family room. The rain is coming down softly now, but I suspect it'll get heavy any minute.

Around the house...floors need mopping, beds need clean bedding, finish laundry, clean up in my daughter's room because she comes home TOMORROW!!!

One of my favorite things...is my family all under one roof. I'm so glad my daughter will be home. There's a peace in my heart when we're all home, together, at the same time.

A few plans for the rest of the week: movies tomorrow (freebies!). I hope to feel well enough to visit my friend who is home from the hospital (thank You Jesus!), library, small groups on Friday, and since my daughter is due home tomorrow (yay, thank the Lord) we can plan some stuff to do with her, too.

Here's a prayer request I'm sharing...pray for our missionaries. We had a couple that we support financially at our church yesterday. John and Tanya are missionaries in the Middle East where spreading the Gospel is slow due to the fact that a) spreading the Gospel is illegal, and b) Islam isn't just the religion of the region, it's their way of life. Accepting Jesus means denouncing your family, friends, lifestyle, everything you know, and possibly experiencing jail time or at the very least ostracizing. Yet there are people who are hungry for the Gospel, and this family is risking everything to answer the call. Please keep these brave lovers of Jesus in your prayers. Until the whole world hears...

Wanna join in the fun? Peggy is on vacation, but you can visit Grandmother Wren and leave your link there. God bless and have a wonderful week.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your daybook! I hope that you will come and visit mine!
http://jenssimplepleasures.wordpress.com/2009/06/29/simple-womans-daybook-summer-editionjune-29th/

Linda C said...

I enjoyed reading your daybook! You have a real heart for spreading the gospel-and nurturing your family! Wonderful!

Happy Monday!

Linda C

Marybeth Whalen said...

Hi Arlene-- thanks for letting me know where the links for the daybook are! I so enjoy reading other people's. Enjoy Passionate Housewives-- it's a wonderful book!!

Bonita said...

What a yummy dinner and easy too!

I'm praying for your friends. They have undertaken a very dangerous and admirable task.

Michelle said...

I'm glad your whole family will be under one roof. Enjoy your time with your daughter.

God bless and yes, I will pray for the missionaries. We have family that serves in China and family that serves in Africa. The ones in China have to be very careful in order to keep witnessing without persecution.

Grandmother Wren said...

A very nice daybook - thank you for sharing at Grandmother Wren's!

May I offer a Big Welcome Home! to your daughter too?

Elena@ Precious Treasures said...

Hi Arlene - I've enjoyed reading your daybook. I hope the storms didn't cause any problems.

Have a wonderful week.

God Bless,
Elena :)

Kristi said...

I'm almost always in my P.J.'s when this post comes up. Oh, well. I'm glad you are going to try scrapbooking. It's so much fun.

Will say a prayer for the missionaries. All missionaries truely have a servants heart. I pray God will give them all they stand in need of.

I've been so busy lately, but it's nice to be able to return to your posts!