Saturday, July 4, 2009

Growth Groups - Week 1

Last night was our first growth group meeting for the summer. Our church calls small groups "growth groups" because we are there to grow in our faith. Looking at the names of the women who signed up for my group I realized the only name I was familiar with was the hostess'. I will admit a bit of apprehension; I'm very much an introvert and leading a group of women in a Bible study when I haven't met them before makes me nervous. Still, it's not the first small group I've been in, and the friendships I've acquired have been worth the effort. I looked forward to the women God was putting in my path.

And once again, He didn't disappoint. Corny as it might sound, we bonded. It was a group of 5 (including myself), three who've only been attending our church a short time, yet I feel like I've known these women all my life. As we each shared our testimonies, I thought about how each story is different, yet what joins us together is the same: the realization that we need a Savior, that a life without God is meaningless. We talked about how Jesus' presence in our lives has affected not only us but those around us. It was such an encouraging time of praise that no one seemed to want to leave! All of us are eager to come together next Friday as we continue to grow as women after God's own heart.

As for today, we're hoping to go to the town park for an outdoor concert and fireworks. I say "hoping to" because it just rained again. We'll see if the weather clears up or not. Typically I'd be upset if I were looking forward to something and then couldn't enjoy it. Today, though, I'm still basking in the glow of a night of praise and worship, and no weather pattern can bring me out of it!

No comments: