Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Life, Interrupted

This morning I was awakened by my youngest son, who woefully said, "I feel worse today than I felt yesterday." Not a good sign.

Last night E told me he wasn't feeling well. He was a bit headachy and thought he might have a fever. I pulled out the thermometer and, to my surprise, found he had a low grade fever of 100.1. I gave him some Tylenol, and shortly thereafter he felt better. This morning when he woke me, I took his temperature again, and found it to be 101.1. This time I gave him ibuprofen because he complained that he was achy all over. After breakfast he was feeling better, but I decided not to take a chance at going to the movies, so we postponed it again. He was okay all morning, but just to play it safe I took his temperature after 6 hours. Once again, he had a low grade fever, 100 degrees. I suspect his body is trying to fight something off, and by his behavior I'd say his body is winning. His throat was a touch sore, but other than that he feels fine with pain reliever/fever reducer. I'm gonna have to keep my eye on him. It's a bummer, because I know he gets tired of being indoors, but I don't want to take him out and have him spread germs if he really is sick with a virus (which is what I suspect is the case).
So, we won't be going to church tonight. My daughter A is going with the church youth group to the local ice skating rink, more to see her friends and catch up with them than to actually ice skate. Hopefully my little boy will be better tomorrow.
One good piece of news: my friend Naomy is out of the hospital. Praise God! I haven't spoken to her (we're playing a lively game of phone tag) but she left me a message that she got home last night with orders to rest and take her medicines. I'm so thankful to the Lord that she's back home again. She's looking forward to this whole episode being behind her, and it looks like she's on her way. Thank You Jesus!
The dark clouds are rolling in, and I can hear thunder in the background. The wind has picked up, making it difficult for the beautiful blue jay to stand on the retaining wall in the back yard. Another typical South Florida day. Hope your day is just as blessed.

3 comments:

Mrs. O said...

I hope my precious nephew starts feeling better soon. Don't delay with medical care if needed, especially since swine flu is still very active here in the U.S. And don't go anywhere near Naomy until you are 150% sure that you haven't caught whatever it is E has. You don't want to cause Naomy to end up in the hospital again.

Give my boy a big kiss from his titi.

Kristi said...

I am sooooo thrilled to hear she is out!!! YAY!!! Just a word from the daughter of an RN, it is best if you don't give him any medicine if his fever is under 101. The body does this to fight infection, and if you lower the temp, you lower the body's abilily to fight it off. I try to give it to them just at night when they sleep... that way you can prevent against a spike in temp. and it will help them sleep by taking away that achiness. Mom's know best...but I'd thought I'd let you know just incase you didn't know already!

Arlene said...

Thanks for the advise Kristi. I've given him ibuprofen and tylenol when he complains about not feeling well. His fever has been under 100 degrees for the most part, so I agree his body is fighting off the infection, and praise God he's feeling much better today.

You're right sis, I can't go visit Naomy if there's the slightest chance of getting her sick, but I'm so happy just to know she's home. I try to call her everyday or every other day just to let her know we're praying, and it makes her happy. God is just SOOOO good!