Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My Week, So Far

Typically, Mondays are big cleaning and laundry days. This is so E and I can go to the free movies on Tuesday mornings, and only have bathroom cleaning after lunch. The rest of the week is more about maintaining the house clean and doing laundry, which gives us a chance to do other fun stuff. It's a schedule that works well for us.

I was totally out of schedule the past few days, though. Friday I was in and out of the house the whole day, so nothing got done around the house. Saturday I tried to catch up with laundry, but that was about all I could get done. I had to prepare for teaching in children's church the next day. I was covering for someone else and hadn't realized I had to teach the lesson - yikes! I had one day to learn the lesson for myself. Thankfully the Lord helped me, otherwise I'd have been lost.

Sunday I had to teach, which meant I had to be at church at 8:45am, teach 2 classes, then help tear down and put everything away. Our church meets at the local high school, so we have to do set up and tear down each week. This means I didn't get home till 2:00pm, and after baking a quick pizza, I rested. Children's church is hard work! But fulfilling, of course. I planned on getting plenty done around the house the next day, since my house was starting to look opaque instead of shiny (if you know what I mean).

Only that wasn't to be. At 5:00am, when the alarm clock rang, my hubby told me he needed me to accompany him to a new store on the other side of the state. My hubby works in the food industry, and when there's a store opening he often gets sent to set up the display in the store. This usually is in our area, southeast Florida. This time, though, he was sent to a store in southwest Florida, almost 2 hours away in an unfamiliar town. Hubby wanted me to go with him so I could be his navigational system, sort of like a wifely GPS. Much as I hate having to get up that early, I knew he was worried about getting to the store on time and getting lost in an unfamiliar place, so I got up and we were off before 6:00am. The drive was pretty uneventful, till we got close to the city. I had gotten directions off Mapquest, and he'd gotten directions from the driver that delivers to this city every week. I asked hubby which directions he wanted to use, and he said we should use the driver's directions, since he travels there frequently and knows the area. Well, we drove around and around and around, called the store owner for directions, called the driver, called the office, and could not find the store. Finally, I told hubby, "Let's go back and try the Mapquest directions." He was so frustrated he just wanted to go home, but he agreed. We went back, almost back to the expressway, then followed Mapquest step by step. Praise God, we were there in about 5 minutes. Hubby was glad he'd taken me, and I was glad I was able to help as best I could. I felt like what God means me to be for my husband: a helper.

My only problem was, we were gone for about 8 hours, between getting there, working the product in the store and driving back home. I spent the time reading (already done with Sense and Sensibility), but when we got home I had to quickly get food made and served before hubby had to get back to work in OUR city. By the time I was done cooking and cleaning up, it was late. I decided to modify my weekly schedule.

So, instead of the movies today, we stayed home and did our big week's cleaning. It worked out great too, because my daughter is going to a Britt Nicole concert tonight and she was able to help out with cleaning before leaving. E helped alot too, and R took care of the outside of the house (lawn mowing). By noon the house was clean and fresh, and lunch was done. Ahh, I felt like I could relax a bit, though not too much, since after lunch E and I had to run to the bank, take some books to the library and get gas for my car. Finally back at home, I can rest in the knowledge that my home and family are taken care of. To all those feminists out there who think any twit can run a household, I say: Give it a try. You'd be surprised to know how much goes into running a home smoothly!

4 comments:

Mrs. O said...

NEVER use MapQuest. Google Maps gives much better directions and you can tweak it (drag and move the route) for those areas you do know. I know from experience. I don't know how MapQuest gets its directions but they aren't from this side of the earth! :)

Arlene said...

Really?? I've used Mapquest multiple times, and have been successful 99.5% of the time. The only issue I had was when Florida had it's construction boom, and new addresses were popping up everyday. It was helpful to us this time, that's for sure. If we'd followed the Mapquest directions from the start we never would have gotten lost.

Kristi said...

I only use MapQuest. You can click and drag it as well, to change your route. I have yet to of had any problems with it. And we live in confusing Georgia...where they will stop a road, and then restart it in a completely different county! A road can change names several times by the time you get where you need to be. I think MapQuest is a lifesaver!

I agree with you on the house thing too. When I first stayed at home, I thought it would be soooo easy...I actually found it easier to be a working mom than a stay at home mom. When you stay at home, the kids are there constantly messing things up, and the husband expects more out of you, since you are home all day!

MapQuest said...

Hey!

Glad to hear we could help out. We strive to provide the most trustworthy maps & directions on the web. Please let us know if you experience otherwise; we'd love to hear about it!

Thanks & Safe Travels!

-Casey