Friday, July 31, 2009

The Week in Review

This week was a calm one. Not many outings, since the weather hasn't been too agreeable. Today was the first day in some time that it hasn't rained at all. Of course, the heat is sweltering, which also discourages being outdoors.

My daughter had a very enjoyable week, though. She joined our church's youth group in a local missions trip to an orphanage. Actually, most of the children there aren't orphans per se; they're placed in this home because their parents either can't or won't care for them, and they are waiting to be placed in foster/adoptive homes. She's home now, but exhausted. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to hear all about it.

Monday: We hung around at home all day. I originally wanted to go with E to a local water park, but I found out the price was out of our budget. It was just as well; a very nasty thunderstorm came through, which would have made the waterpark dangerous. We played Monopoly Jr. E beat me twice, I won once. He commented that it would be nice to play grown-up Monopoly, if we had it. He forgot it was in his sister's room.

Tuesday: We saw Firehouse Dog at the theater for free movie day. This was the last week, and we wanted to make sure we didn't miss it. Great movie! I really enjoyed it. E liked it too, though he said he liked Hotel For Dogs better. We stopped at the library to get more books. I finished Jane Eyre, which I LOVED, and now I'm reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I read this book when I was 12 years old. Someone had thrown out a copy of the book, and I pulled it out of the trash out of curiosity. I knew about Charles Dickens but I'd never read his books, and I remember enjoying Great Expectations very much, so I thought after so many years it would be good to read again. More rain in the afternoon, so E and I played grown-up Monopoly. E cleaned the floor with me. A little embarrassing, to lose to a 9 year old.

Wednesday: Cleaning day. Bathrooms, floors, vacuuming rugs, laundry, the works. I love having the house neat and clean! Of course, I wanted a Monopoly rematch. I won this time, thankyouverymuch!!

Thursday: Stayed home, watched Horton Hears A Who, and yes, played Monopoly again. I won - two out of three ain't bad! The happiest moment for me was when I received the letter telling me my unemployment benefits were extended once again. Thank You Lord for that amazing blessing!

Friday: Grocery shopping day. I stayed under budget again, which is good. I tried to shop as fast as I could, because we were going out to lunch. E had received, as an award for good conduct at school, a free meal at a local family sports pub and restaurant. I don't like going to these places for dinner, especially on a Friday, because it gets filled with happy hour sports fanatics. But right after the lunch rush the service tends to be good, fast, and quiet. His coupon expired today, so we had to use it or lose it. My daughter wasn't able to join us, since she was at camp, but the rest of the family went and had a great time with a great meal. Then, another round of Monopoly (I lost), and now I'm typing as my daughter leans over to give me a much enjoyed hug. No growth groups tonight; our host is in Orlando this weekend.

Looking forward to a quiet, relaxing weekend. God bless everyone!

No comments: