Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Expensive Children?

I was reading this article and was troubled by the topic. Not about how expensive it is to raise a child; I think we all know that it's expensive to do anything nowadays. I was troubled at the fact that someone bothered to try to quantify the total cost of raising a child from birth to age 17.

When we purchase a home, we spend lots of money to do it. Unless, of course, you're fortunate enough to have someone gift it to you; nevertheless, there are taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc. to pay. A home purchase for most people means having to save lots of money just for a down payment, closing costs, bank costs, etc. Then there's a mortgage that can last 15, 20, 30 or more years. Yet we happily put down our hard earned money to purchase "the American dream". Why? Because we don't look at it as an expense; we see it as an investment.

Why, then, are we looking at children as an expense? Are people to look at this and decide children aren't a worthy investment? The article boasts, "Middle-income family spends $221,000 to raise baby". Does that seem like a lot of money to spend on a child? Seems to me most people spend much more on a house these days, and don't think twice about it. Aren't children a much more precious and treasured investment?

I know that for some people, having everything budgeted out for them is necessary. I'm one of those people who needs to have expenses written out so I can see that I'm using our money wisely. Even Jesus said a wise person calculates costs before proceeding with a project (Luke 14:28-29). It's just that, to me, my children aren't an expense. They are an investment, one that pays dividends in heaven if I take care to raise them and care for them as my Father has taught me. They may not bring in a financial return, but the love I give and receive from them is priceless. And that's worth every penny.

When we stop looking at children as expenses, and treat them as the one of the greatest blessings that can be received, maybe then we'll reap the rewards of parenthood so sadly forgotten.

No comments: