Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of School

Yesterday was my son's first day of fourth grade. He didn't sleep very well the night before. Mostly he was nervous because he didn't know if any of his friends would be in his class. He's still in the same school, so I told him he'd most likely know at least some of the kids, but he was still worried. Add to that a new teacher, new rules, etc, and the poor boy was up at 5:30 in the morning, claiming he heard noises. I guess his nerves were getting the better of him.

Thankfully he wasn't so nervous he couldn't eat. As we got ready to leave, I asked if he wanted me to just drop him off or would he prefer me to walk to class with him? As they get older, they become more independent and don't want Mom treating them like babies. However, he was more than happy to walk with me. This meant I had to park at the Winn-Dixie shopping center in front of the school and walk about 8 blocks. The morning was nice, though, so it was good exercise. As we got nearer he was wondering where he should go. Since he'd gotten his class assignment, and since we'd been there the Friday before to find out where the classroom was, I told him to just go to the room we'd visited. We walked over and took a peek inside. Immediately he saw one of his friends, went in, took a seat next to the boy and forgot all about me :-(. I'm not too upset, though. Just to see him happy gave me peace of mind. I met his teacher too, and she seems very nice.

In the afternoon it was pouring rain, so I had to park once again and walk over to get him inside of the school. Normally the kids are outside on the sidewalk or the grass, but on rainy days parents have to pick up the kids in their designated rainy day area. I found him happily chatting away with his buddies. He told me he'd had a good day, liked his teacher, and found plenty of friends. Hopefully this is a sign for what's to come. I'm praying he has a good school year, with plenty of learning.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

That is so wonderful to hear. I do hope it is a sign of what's to come for him!