Saturday, August 29, 2009

My First Anniversary

Today marks the one year anniversary of my being unemployed. One year ago today I said goodbye to a great group of people and a job I'd had for 11 1/2 years. It seemed a bit surreal at the time. I'd been at the company for so long; I'd been in the same office since I'd returned from maternity leave 8 years before. Part of me was sad, because I had some great memories of the company and my coworkers. Still another part of me rejoiced, because I'd finally realized and accepted that God had orchestrated this change, and He would see me through this new season of my life.

It's been a time of adjustment, of learning, of accepting and of growing. I laugh when I think of myself as "unemployed"; I'm busier than I've ever been. My brother-in-law asked me the other day if I get bored being home all day. People don't have a clue what it takes to run a household. There is always something to do, and even when I plan everything out there's always something that comes up to throw a wrench into the woodwork. I've learned to appreciate all the work my mom did when she raised the four of us kids, because now I'm the one doing all the work. I learned to appreciate all the work my husband does because he's got to pay the bills on his own. I learned to appreciate the home I have, the luxuries we enjoy (because satellite tv is an unnecessary luxury), the comfort we get to experience. I learned that managing money is a huge responsibility, and spending it wisely helps me sleep more soundly. I've come to accept that just because I don't earn a salary doesn't mean I don't work; my job is to make my home a refuge for my family, a place they come to because they love to be here, not just because it's where the bed is. Rather than feel useless because I don't have a job outside my home, I've come to love being a homemaker, wife, and mom more than I did before.

Every season of our lives is different, and each one is a learning experience. We can either choose to live it, learn from it and love it; or we can moan and groan, complain constantly and gripe about our circumstances. God has taught me that I'm where He wants me to be, and because of that I can rejoice in His love.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I'm so glad you can look at it that way. I had the hardest time feeling like what I did was "worthy". Then I realized that I was looking at the wrong people for my feeling of worthyness. The only opinion that matters is that of God and my family. They feel my time and efforts are EXTREMELY important and I find great comfort and pride in that. Like you said, it truly takes a special person that cares about her family to make a home a true "Home", a resting place of peace, comfort and love. I'm so glad God has given you the ablity to do just that! Happy anniversary! I'm about to hit my 7th "anniversary" and I couldn't be more thankful.