Thursday, August 27, 2009

New Roommates

My daughter lives on campus during the school year, because her school is 4 hours away from home. Her dorm is the newest at the university; it's actually a fully furnished, 4 bedroom 2 bath apartment, with kitchen, living and dining area. She has her own bedroom but shares the apartment with 3 other girls. Her best friend JB is one of her roommates.

Last semester they had two other girls in the apartment which caused them both plenty of grief. The two girls were freshman, 18 years old and away from home for the first time. Apparently they were all about living the college life: they'd party every night, got very drunk (where they were in the bathroom sick at 3:00am), missing classes, etc. My girls had issues with them because they'd bring liquor into the apartment which not only is not allowed, but both of these ladies were under age, making it illegal. While my daughter and JB were visiting home, one of the girls had a party at the apartment, during which one of the sofa cushions was burned. My girls had to report this incident so they wouldn't get charged for the damage. When my girls complained and told them this couldn't happen again, they got upset. They'd slam doors and have major attitudes, making life extremely uncomfortable.

Thankfully both girls were moving off campus after the summer session. Of course, this left A and JB wondering who their new roommates would be. The girls prayed that the Lord would choose roommates for them, nice girls who would keep the place clean and obey the rules. Before they came home for summer break, they met one of the girls. She's from out of state but was very nice and respectful to them, and both girls were pleased. This past weekend they moved back in and met the newest roommate. My daughter noticed she'd put up some posters on her door, one of which was a Third Day poster. The girl, K, asked my girls about their faith, and my girls told her they're Christians. Turns out, so is the new roommate! She's from a small town on Florida's gold coast. She asked about local churches because she wants to get connected right away. My girls are thrilled!

God is faithful to give when we ask. He heard the girls' plea and gave them some roommates they can feel comfortable with. My daughter told me she and K sat and talked for 2 hours. They are getting along swimmingly, and I'm praising God for putting these girls together with my girls. He loves us so much!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I'm such a softie, but this made me cry a little. I am so overjoyed one, that they got good roomates, and two, that your daughter and her friend are away from home, and the Lord is still that strong on their minds and in their hearts. Those other girls last year could have led your daughter to stray from her faith and her convictions, and instead she held her ground and clinged to the Solic Rock. That just puts tears down my face, what can I say?!

Mrs. O said...

Thank God! We don't need those bad influences around. It's great that they have mature roommates now and can fellowship with at least one of them.

~Ashley~ said...

Wow - glad things are going better for your daughter this year!

In answer to your question - yes. That means there is not a freezer, at all, in the house.

However; ice cream is a rare treat at our house. Also, I tend to get two-three meals of meat out of the freezer at a time and let it dethaw in my refrigerator for use during the week as I decide to cook it up.

And, more importantly, I will already *have* to be outside, regardless of weather, to take care of the animals every day. Animal food is in the same barn as our freezer.

Does that help explain it?

~Ashley~