Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Do My Eyes Deceive Me?

Conversation with my 9 year old son as we were on our way to church Sunday morning:

E: What color is a bald eagle's head?

Me: White. That's why they're called bald eagles. Their heads are white making them look bald.

E: I just saw two.

Me: What? Where?

E: Up on a tree. We just passed them.

(We drive by a cow pasture on our way to church. It's a big field and there are some trees there).

Me: That couldn't have been a bald eagle. There are no bald eagles in Florida.

E: But I saw it.

Me: No, you must have seen something else. A hawk, maybe.

E: But it had a white head and looked just like an eagle. I saw it.

Me: No honey, bald eagles live on the Pacific coast in mountainous regions. Besides, I think they're endangered. You must have seen something else.

Today I received our local town paper. Right there, on the front page, was a picture of two bald eagles who have made a nest precisely in the tree my son said he saw the eagles. Apparently E wasn't the only one who saw them and they've been getting some attention. So it turns out my son was right, he saw two eagles. And Mom had to eat crow.

3 comments:

Mrs. O said...

I hope you apologized to him for not believing him. :)

Kristi said...

Been there! Well I bet he felt so proud of himself after seeing the paper. Isn't that just amazing! Too bad you didn't get to see them in person...have you gotten to yet, are they still there?

I love your new blog look. It's great!

Arlene said...

Sis: Yes, I did apologize. He's enjoying himself, though. Every once in awhile he'll call out, "eagle!" and laugh himself silly.

Kristilea: I drove by this morning but I didn't see them, so I was a little bummed. They must be magnificent. The field is directly behind our development, so maybe they'll pay us a visit. I can only hope! Thanks for the compliment - I love your blog look too!