Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Week in Review

Boy, has this been an eventful week! I haven't blogged as much as I would have liked, only because I was on busy mode the whole week. Of course for blogging purposes it was pretty monotonous.

Monday - I reported promptly at 8:00am at the courthouse for jury duty. This meant getting up at 5:25am so I could get my son up, prepare breakfast and lunch (I took a packed lunch to the courthouse) and heading out the door by 6:30am. My son didn't have school on Monday, but thankfully grandma stayed with him. I met my cousin at the courthouse, because surprisingly we both got called for jury duty the same day. What are the odds! By 9:40 she'd been called, and I had to wait till 10:30. Jury selection began, but it's very slow. I kept trying not to nod off, since I was tired and the jury selection process is pretty boring. Imagine my surprise when I was chosen to serve! I was sure they'd pass me by just because I looked like I was half asleep! The attorneys began opening arguments the same day, and we didn't get out till 5:30pm. I was exhausted. One good thing, though: I met a pastor's wife there. I was so glad; it meant I wouldn't be the only one looking at this case from a biblical point of view.

Tuesday - I was supposed to be at the courthouse by 9:00am, but due to having to drop my son off at school and getting into major traffic, I didn't get there till 9:30am. I felt awful, because everyone was waiting for me. The case began. Armed robbery. I posted about this in my previous post, so I won't go into detail except to say that several of us were in agreement that this young man needed prayer. I'm thankful for our God who gives second chances. I pray this young man will seek His forgiveness.

Because the judge had another trial, we were dismissed at 2:30pm. This gave me time to go home and prepare enough food for 3 days, since I knew I was going back the next day. My son and I had Burger King on Monday, and it didn't exactly agree with me. I don't eat much fast food, so my stomach doesn't appreciate it. Besides, there's nothing like giving my family a home cooked meal.

Wednesday - The trial finally ended. Although we agreed the evidence proved the young man guilty, no one was happy about it. At 20 years old, it's difficult to send someone to prison. But that is the consequence of crime. He's still young; I pray he'll turn his life around. We were dismissed at 1:45pm but by the time I got home it was 3:00pm. Just in time to say goodbye to my oldest son as he headed off to work.

E and I went to church that night. It was Harvest-fest at Awana. Games, activities, crafts, lots of fun. The kids didn't want to leave. I went to Bible study, which I desperately needed after 3 days of trial. Pastor is doing a series on Praying like Jesus. It was so refreshing.

Thursday - My first day at home all week. I did a bunch of laundry which had piled up, plus gave the kitchen and family room a good cleaning. I was thankful to get a chance to catch up on home matters. We went to Cub Scouts at night, but I mostly just sat there and watched the boys. I was only too happy to relax for a while.

Friday - After grocery shopping I met with E's teachers. What a difference from last year! His teacher is in agreement with me that E needs to be tested for a learning disability. She has other children in her class with issues, so she seems better equipped to deal with the situation. Both his teachers listened to my concerns and we're working on ways to help E with reading and writing skills. Thank the Lord for these wonderful teachers!

We had 12 women last night at growth groups. What a blessing! It seems the group grows every week. Lots of participation, too. It's very diverse; I have teenagers, young single women, married women with small children and married women with grown children. The beauty of the book of Proverbs is that it's relevant to everyone. It was an amazing night and the Holy Spirit was in full force feeding us from the Word. Another refreshing night.

My week isn't over, either. I just pulled some banana nut muffins out of the oven (yes, baked from scratch; the bananas were over-ripe and I don't like throwing them out). In a little while E and I are heading out to Boomers for a birthday party he was invited to. We'll have the rest of the afternoon to rest. Tomorrow after church is the Volunteer Appreciation picnic at a nearby park. I volunteer in several ministries, not because we get a picnic ;-) but because it is such a blessing, to others and to myself. I'm looking forward to it and praying it doesn't rain.

I hope everyone has a joyous weekend. God bless!

No comments: