Thursday, December 3, 2009

Nativities

Nativities, I believe, are an essential part of the Christmas landscape, whether inside or outside the home. My pastor always harps on the fact that today's Nativity scenes are inaccurate. The manger where Mary placed the Christ child was not a little bassinet; it was a feeding trough for the animals. The "barn" was actually a cave carved into a mountain. And as for the wise men, the Bible never mentions them by name or even tells us how many were there. We just know there was more than one because it's in the plural. They didn't show up to see Jesus till much later, when He was toddler. Still, I love my Nativity scenes and the remembrance they give of that very special day when God came into the world.

This is the first Nativity I ever purchased. I ordered it by catalog so I didn't know exactly what it would look like. I almost cried when I saw it. It was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. It's now been with me about 18 years.

This large Nativity is my favorite. I got it from my House of Lloyd sales. Only hostesses could get them, so it was very special to me. I didn't realize when I saw it in the catalog that it was 15 inches tall. It has so much rustic detail, it's just lovely. The small Nativity in the corner I've had for 14 years. It was one of the first items I bought from House of Lloyd, and I've treasured it for many years. I used to put it with my Christmas village, but now I put it next to my favorite.

Now in my village I have my acrylic Glistening Chapel and an acrylic Nativity to match. This Nativity is actually an ornament for the tree, but I love how it's the same material as the church which makes it look like a set. It looks very elegant in the village.

This is the largest one piece Nativity in my collection. It was the last Nativity I got from my party plan sales. It's a full 18 inches tall and weighs a ton. It has a prominent spot in the bookcase in the living room.

This is my only musical Nativity. It plays "Silent Night" (another misconception, since anyone who has given birth knows there's nothing silent about it). It's only about 8 inches tall but it's got a solid wood base and the figurines are very well crafted and detailed.

Here is my newest Nativity, a gift from my sister last year. I call this the Gold Nativity; I think it's easy to see why. Not noticable in the picture are the colored stones in the individual pieces that makes them look even more elegant. I put this Nativity in the dining room next to the china cabinet.
Of all my collections these are my favorites. Yes, the snowmen and the penguins and the Santas are all nice, but only these Nativities are reminders of the true Reason for the Season.

3 comments:

dtbrents said...

I love nativity scenes. Your's are beautiful. I have had mine for about twenty years. I bought it at a craft fair. When people send me emails about the holiday tree woes I tell them to put a nativity scene in front of their home. I can do without the tree but don't mess with the nativity scene. I know it's not accurate but it does remind of Christ's birth. Doylene

Anglican Mama said...

Thank you for commenting back, it was a blessing to hear from you. I haven't yet seen BarlowGirl in person, but my Dad and siblings have--they were thoroughly impressed. My Dad comically said he had a crush on them, they were so awesome. ;) I look forward to an opportunity to see them.

Your nativities are beautiful! Though my family does agree with the inaccuracy of them, we still put one up for the same reason--the reminder. Our area is having a Navtivity Fair, with nativity figures/displayes from all over the world. :) I wish I could send it your way, they are pretty neat.

LLJ said...

I love nativities too and keep several up all year long! They make me SMILE! Yours are very nice!
Leanne