Friday, December 11, 2009

The Week in Review

It's been sort of a prep week, since so many things were going on, preparing for Christmas. Of course, I feel like my week is always about lots of things going on!

Monday was an errand day. I bought my son's teachers scented candles so he can give to them next week when they have their Christmas parties. I like being done with my shopping and decorating, but it always seems like there's just one more thing to do. I think that's why so many people stress at Christmas time. I try my best not to, otherwise the enjoyment of the season is gone.

I stayed home Tuesday to do clean up and laundry. My oldest son R took his car in for an oil change since it was his day off from school and work. Hubby had noticed the car was leaking oil so R had the dealer take a look at it while they were doing the oil change. Turns out there was a part in the transmission that had cracked, but thankfully it was covered under the extended warranty. I picked R up from the dealer, picked E up from school, ran over to the library to drop off some books, then thought about how easy it is to plan things our way but God has other ideas!

Wednesday I had to take both my boys to school. I take E to school everyday, but R's car wouldn't be ready till Thursday and renting a car seemed like an unnecessary expense, so I drove him the half hour to his school. Thankfully one of his best friends goes to the same school and was kind enough to drop him off at work after school. Hubby picked him up after work at 11:00pm. It seems like a hassle, but I'm glad my family has the ability to help one another. Wednesday night was Awana and Bible study. Pastor Dan was on a roll - I know many people like going to church to have their ears tickled, but I prefer to hear where I need to improve and what I need to change. It's those challenges that get my heart pumping as I understand God's will for my life more clearly.

Thursday was special in 2 ways. First off, our cousin gave birth to her third child - we have a new little baby boy in the family! Praise God, the little one and his mommy are both doing well. I spoke to my hubby's aunt (the baby's grandma) in the morning to congratulate her, then to our cousin in the evening when she was feeling better. Can't wait to meet the little guy! The hospital is a bit out of the way, so I'll wait till they get home to see them.

The other reason Thursday was so special was because my daughter came home! She actually arrived while E and I were at Cub Scouts, so it was even sweeter to come home and find her here. I just cannot express the happiness I feel when my family is home. It's an overwhelming blessedness.

Unfortunately for my son, his car was ready Thursday but not until 5:30pm. He had to be at work at 4:00, so he had no choice but to wait till Friday to pick up his car. That actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Friday morning my son R accompanied me grocery shopping, since I had to drop him off at the dealership to pick up his car and it's just a few blocks from Walmart. We had a nice time together; my son is 22 years old, a quiet young man, but I enjoy his company because we have lots of fun conversations together. After we were done I left him to get his car and came home. A little while later he came with his car and a big grin - not only was the repair under warranty, but since he had to wait so long to get his car back, the dealer decided not to charge him for the oil change! God is so wonderful! It reminded me that when things don't go our way, rather than complain we need to wait and see what God is up to. He loves to surprise us!

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are back in town this weekend, and the kids in Children's Ministry will be preparing for their song that they'll be singing on Sunday December 20. As usual, plenty to get done, but oh, thank the Lord for the busyness of my life!

God bless, and have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Mrs. O said...

I believe there were 3 things to be thankful for on Thursday? You forgot to mention how you got to speak to your favorite sister!! ;)