Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Health-Wise Wednesdays

Topic: Exercise

I was very surprised this morning when I stood on the scale. I was expecting little weight loss this week. Maybe another .2 lbs. I weighed myself, got off, weighed myself again, and stared shocked at the number. 137. I lost a full 1.2 lbs! Wow! I didn't think I'd done that well. I certainly haven't been hungry. But I think I know what made the difference. I added a new element to my routine. Exercise.

Exercise. That dreaded word. At least to most Americans it is. We've become what I call an "instant" culture. We want our food served to us "in an instant". We want DVR's so we can watch our favorite shows "instantly". We crave all kinds of new technology which promises "instant" access to email, internet, Facebook, and every other communication invention. Our gratification must always be "instantaneous". The problem is, exercise doesn't work that way.

Exercise is work. It takes time and effort, which requires diligence and motivation. For most people, results don't show up till after a few weeks of consistent exercise, and for some people that may even mean months. This doesn't fit in with the "instant" mentality. We want to get on a treadmill for five minutes and look like Miss America or Mr. Universe. So we spend thousands of dollars on weights and machines with a desire to get in shape in as short an amount of time as possible. When this doesn't happen, discouragement sets in and the exercise equipment becomes a clothing rack.

Do we give up? Not yet. We proceed to spend more money on gym memberships, because we suppose the reason the products we purchased don't work is because we have no one around to motivate or encourage us. It's amazing how many people pay for a whole year of gym membership but don't go past the first couple of weeks. "My muscles are soooo sore!" they complain. "I'm too tired today, need to rest before I go back," will be the excuse of others. "The place is too crowded, there aren't enough machines, the aerobics classes are too (hard, fast, boring, noisy), I feel fat compared to all the athletic types that are exercising there," yada yada yada. Before long we're planted on the couch once more, convinced that none of that stuff works anyway.

I don't like to exercise. I admit it. Yet here's the funny thing: I used to be one of those who was at the gym everyday for 2 hours a day, doing cardio and weight training and looking like a million bucks. I know the results of being consistent and sticking with an exercise routine. I felt so energetic when I was in shape, and when I became pregnant with my youngest son I knew I'd be one of those women at the gym with my cute little belly doing my exercises so that both my baby and I would be healthier. Then I found out I had placenta previa. For those who don't know what this is, it's when the placenta plants itself over the cervix. Both the mother and baby are in danger of spontaneous contractions and labor, causing the placenta to detach from the uterus, which in turn results in severe bleeding. When my doctor realized I had placenta previa (it's usually detected early in pregnancy via ultrasound), I was advised no physical activity beyond walking, and even that was limited. I couldn't stand in one place for very long, and was only allowed to continue working because I was sitting at my desk the entire day. Thankfully, I was able to carry my son to 37 weeks gestation, and without any complications. But, as far as I was concerned, my exercising days were over.

I had all the excuses, too. I'd just gone through a difficult pregnancy, and a cesarean section. I now had a newborn to care for in addition to 2 older children. I had a full-time job and a home to care for. Add exercising to that schedule? Never! I was justified, and besides, isn't motherhood exercise enough?! Getting to my target weight wasn't hard, so long as I ate right. Yes, I'd gain weight, but I'd lose it once I put my mind to it. I saw no need to begin an exercise regiment, especially the one I'd been accustomed to.

But let's face it: I'm not getting any younger. As the years progress, the body metabolizes slower, the muscles become weaker, and if not cared for properly the body will deteriorate faster. What good is it to be thin if I have zero energy and my body looks as flabby as it feels? The truth is, our bodies need exercise. My body needs exercise. So I needed to make some changes.

I was glad that MyFitnessPal lists cleaning as an exercise. That made me feel like I wasn't just sitting around doing nothing all day; at least I was aware of the fact that housework burns calories, and I was happy to see I'm not the only one who appreciates that. But I also knew it wasn't enough, and I needed to add some more to my "workout". I began on the treadmill (yes, we have a treadmill. And a stationary bicycle. I just wasn't using them.). The problem with using the treadmill was that any excuse seemed good enough to get off. The garage was too hot. My sons/daughter/husband was calling me. I got winded already after just 10 minutes. It was too easy to stop exercising because I could just get off and walk away from it. I had to come up with something better.

The perfect alternative presented itself in the strangest way (which is how God operates, have you noticed?). A roller on the treadmill broke, and it would be a week before a replacement part could come in. I wouldn't be able to use the machine for awhile, but it was such a lovely day I thought, "Why not take a walk in the park?" We have a park across the street from our house. It's not a huge park; I can walk the perimeter of it in 15 - 20 minutes, depending how fast I'm walking. It's a soccer park, with 3 separate soccer fields, a children's play area, community center, and the walking trail among many trees. There are also 3 exercise stations that were put up as an Eagle Scout project. I decided I would try this idea out for size.

The first day I took my son and daughter, and we went around the park once. I was pretty tired at the end of that trek! It made me realize how out of shape I am. The next day I went by myself, and decided I'd go around the park twice. The first time was okay; I didn't get winded or anything. The weather was perfect, which definitely helped. Then as I was going around the second time, I started getting tired. Now, if I'd have been home on the treadmill, I'd have immediately jumped off and ended my exercising right then and there. In the park, however, I had no choice but to continue walking so I could get back home. I finished my two turns around the park and felt great. I noticed that I was tired for just a minute or two, then my strength came back and I was fine. I'd been quitting too soon when I was at home because I could. Now that I couldn't I was able to do more and go further.

I know that this may not seem like much. Walking for 30-40 minutes in the park is not going to get me looking like I did when I was 21 years old (no amount of exercising can do that!). But it's a start. And seeing the results is my incentive to keep on going. The road to health is a continuous road, but it can be a pleasant and rewarding one if we have the right attitude.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Congradulations! That's wonderful news! I'm glad you are enjoying your walks around the park. It's great when you find something that really works for you, isn't it?! We are all so different...lead different lives, have different personalities and different needs. We can't always do what someone else does and find success in it. I love it when I find something that really works for me and my situation!