Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thankful Thursdays

"Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.'" - Matthew 19:14

I know boasting is not a desirable quality, but will the reader indulge this mother who can't help but brag on her youngest blessing?

Last night were the Awana awards. For those who don't know, Awana clubs are a children's ministry that emphasizes memorization of Bible verses and character development. They do all sorts of activities while being taught the Gospel and learning how to share with others. My son E loves Awana; not only does he have lots of friends but I'm amazed at how much he learns in a short period of time. The curriculum runs from August to May, and at the end the children are presented with all sorts of prizes and awards for their achievements. Last year my son received a medal for merit, and he wanted one this year SO BAD!! He almost thought he wasn't getting one, but his name was called next to last so he was happy.

One child is selected from each grade to receive the Clubber of the Year award. This award is given for overall performance: attendance, how well they've learned their lessons, sportsmanship, discipleship, etc. My son was honestly not expecting this award. He was thankful just to get his merit medal. So imagine his surprise and overwhelming joy when his name was called and he received his trophy! He was literally jumping up and down. Here he is with his awards and one of his leaders, who happens to share my son's name as well as his love for Jesus:


My heart almost burst out of my ribcage I was so thrilled. I thank God for giving me such a wonderful blessing in this little boy who loves the Lord, loves others, loves to serve and be helpful, and loves God's word. What a great privilege to be his mommy.


This month, Thankful Thursdays is hosted by Laurie at Women Taking a Stand. Have a blessed rest of your week.

5 comments:

Michele said...

Oh that is just awesome congrats to your son!!!! That's the best kinda award to get.

Michele

annies home said...

oh what a great story your son sounds like a blessing

Denise said...

Congrats to your precious son.

Whidbey Woman said...

Thanks be to God!

Up Close said...

It said that "let those who boast boast in the Lord." God bless you. I might be jut like you when God will give mine. :)