Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Open House Tour

4 Moms and 35 Kids is hosting an open house tour this month. You can join in here, here, here or here. For the next few weeks homes will be open for sharing. This week we're looking at the outside of the home, front and back. So here we go, welcome to our home:

I live on the corner of a cul-de-sac, so depending on which side you come down, you might get this view:

Or you might get this one:

Regardless, you're gonna see palm trees. This is South Florida. We're just brimming with all types of palm trees, and I love every one of them. That's my little boy in the picture, by the way. He's such a ham. Ours is a circular driveway, and hubby planted the bushes and of course palm tree in the center.


As you walk up, this is what you see. Notice on the side of the house there are some light patches of paint on the wall. My dearest hubby was touching up some spots, but he didn't notice till after he'd finished painting that he used the trim paint on the main wall. When he went to look for the correct paint, he realized we didn't have any left. Oh well. It'll stay that way till rainy season is over. Which won't be till winter. In the meantime we'll call this "art".

Here's my front door, and on the right is the living room window. The picture isn't the best, because it's very sunny out. This is the Sunshine State, after all. It's always sunny, unless it's raining, which right now is at least half the time. The advantage to that is that I don't have to water any plants, flowers or grass. The disadvantage is that we spend very little time outdoors because everything is soaking wet. Such is life in South Florida.


Here's an older pic of the front yard. I had lots of flowers planted which are gone now, but the plants are still there. The little angel in the center is a Welcome sign, and the rock over on the right says God Bless This Home. It used to glow in the dark, but it's been out there too long in the elements, I guess, and doesn't glow anymore. The sentiment is still true though, and I really love that ole rock.
I recently redecorated the backyard, so I'll just repeat some of the pictures. You can read more and see more pictures here. I'll post these in the spirit of the open house. Notice there isn't much kid stuff? That's because my kids don't like being outdoors. "It's too hot out there," they whine. Having grown up in the city and always wishing to have had a backyard, I just shake my head. At least it's available to the grown-ups to enjoy. When it isn't pouring rain, that is. You might also notice the yard is fairly large, with enough room for a pool. You're absolutely right. And if anyone out there feels called to finance said pool for our family, please let me know. It might be just what these kids of mine need to encourage them to enjoy the outdoors.

Here's the other view. I spend quite a bit of time here tending my plants and flowers. It's good exercise, and looks so nice and tranquil. You can see, of course, that my neighbors aren't too far off. They're very quiet though, so I don't feel like they're on top of me even though they live so close. I hear the kids playing outside, especially the house behind me that has a pool, but other than that we live in a very peaceful town which I'm so thankful for.

Well, that's my home. The outside of it, anyway. I hope it makes everyone feel welcome, which is my goal. Come on over, we'll sit outside with a tall glass of lemonade and enjoy the sunshine. If it's not raining. And if the furniture is dry ;-).

8 comments:

Another Beautiful Day said...

It is so beautiful. I know you are proud. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I came over from Raising Olives! Very nice pictures, you have a lovely home! Check out my blog @ http://golden-reflections.blogspot.com/
Have a blessed day!

Kimberly @ Raising Olives said...

Beautiful yard and house. Love the palm trees.

Smockity Frocks said...

Beautiful! LOVE the palm trees! Thanks for joining in!

Gen said...

Lovely home! thanks for sharing.

Kimarie said...

I saw the palm trees and thought, "Another Floridian!" Beautiful house and yard layout. LOL about the paint - we still have painting to finish on the outside and have to wait until "winter", too. Thanks for the tour!

Tracy said...

What a beautiful yard!! I don't know that I would want to leave my home. : )
Thanks for visiting my site!!

Grateful for Grace said...

Oh, how pretty. I just LOVE your backyard: big enough for a great grassy area and a nice deck/patio. Just perfect.

You have a pretty home, even if it's in Hurricane Central.