Friday, August 19, 2011

August Challenge - Question 2

I had wanted to participate in this more frequently, but my internet connection has been on and off this week. I believe it's the weather, since we've been getting rain everyday and thunderstorms more often than not. Here is one question, though, that I wanted to tackle because I've asked it myself in the past.

Some people think the number 13 is an unlucky number. Do you ever feel unlucky? Read Psalm 73 about Asaph, who felt unlucky but then reached some wonderful conclusions. Journal some verses from this Psalm and why these verses were special to you.

Hmm, do I feel unlucky? There are times when things don't go the way I'd like, when issues and problems come out of left field and I'm left wondering how these things could happen. Is it luck, bad or otherwise?

For that matter, what is luck? According to the World English dictionary, it's "having or bringing good fortune; happening by chance, especially as desired." So the question really is, do I believe things happen by chance, or is there a definite reason for what happens in my life and the life of everyone else?

I'd read Psalm 73 a few weeks ago. I've been reading one Psalm per day, and I'm in the 90's now. I recall understanding where Asaph was coming from. "How is it good things happen to bad people?" Asaph was asking (verses 3-9). It seems unfair that wicked, scheming people appear to get away with their evil doings, yet whenever a righteous person tries to do what is right he is chastised, ridiculed, even persecuted. Is it a matter of luck? Asaph realized it wasn't. He tried figuring it out on his own; verse 16 says when he tried to understand it all, it was too painful. Then he went before God, and once God revealed His justice, Asaph was able to comprehend the truth. "Surely You set them in slippery places; You cast them down to destruction." (verse 18). We can only see what's happening before our eyes, but God sees the bigger picture. He knows what's going on in each person's heart, and He knows perfectly well where evil desires lead. It may seem these people are "lucky" for a time, but in the end righteousness prevails.

I don't believe in luck. I do, however, believe in blessings. I believe that God bestows gifts upon those who obey Him and seek to please Him. Does that mean we never have problems? No. Problems have a purpose in our lives, too: they bring us closer to God, and teach us to seek His will. Then they can be used to help and encourage others. Problems start off as painful, but with the right attitude can be turned into blessings.

Am I unlucky? Not at all. I am blessed beyond measure, and loved beyond words.

No comments: