Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

It's the last day of school, and my son is extremely thankful!  It has been a good year for him.  He raised his FCAT reading score from a 1 last year to a 3 this year.  The highest grade is a 6, so a 3 is equivalent to a C.  This is the highest his reading grade has ever been, and I am just thrilled at how well he has done.  I am especially thankful to his reading teacher, Mrs. Legra, who encouraged the students, and made character development as important as reading.  She did so much to help my son, and it shows in his progress.  I love when teachers give their all.

 - Saturday was my cousin's little boy's first birthday, and we were able to go to his birthday party.  It was a chance to see my aunt and uncle who are getting up in years, but what was even nicer was seeing their daughter, my cousin, the baby's grandmother, whom I hadn't seen in about 30 years.  She looks fantastic, and was all smiles at her only grandson's party.  We were able to chat for awhile, which I enjoyed.  Her daughter also came with her husband, and it was great seeing them as well.      

 - This week my daughter's childhood bedroom set left our home after 22 years.  Her father had built the furniture when she was just a few months old, and she's had it all these years.  It was all white, with the bed, 2 nightstands, a desk, and a wall unit full of drawers.  Very spacious, but not for A.  It was a child's bedroom set, and she's a young adult.  Her bedroom set in Central Florida will be taking it's place, but in the meantime we are painting her bedroom to fit her new furniture.  With the white furniture she had asked for teal walls, which looked nice though still pretty young.  Her new bedroom set is a dark merlot finish, and her bedding is black and grey.  Teal just wasn't gonna work with it, so we are making it more modern and edgy.  Two walls are being painted grey, one full wall will be purple, and the window wall will have both colors in a diagonal split.  I think it's gonna look really cool; we did the two full grey walls today and it already looks more grown up.  She's really excited to see her room completed.

 - My oldest son R stayed in Central Florida and planned to come back home in July.  He called me to say he needs to come home sooner.  Turns out when he told the store manager that he'd be leaving in July, they cut his hours dramatically, to the point that he can no longer afford to stay up there.  We're looking at driving up the last week of this month, packing everything up and bringing it down on a truck.  Hopefully he'll be able to transfer to his old store, or find full-time work.

 - To make matters even more complicated, my sonogram results came in, and I definitely have gallstones.  My doctor has referred me to a surgeon.  I have an appointment for next Thursday, in which I hope to find a way to avoid having surgery.  Truth is, the gallstones are there but I don't have pain.  There is occasional discomfort, heartburn, and some bloating, but I don't have any other symptoms, and certainly no painful episodes as so many gallstone victims complain of.  Maybe the surgeon will agree with me that surgery isn't necessary at this time?  We'll have to wait and see.

 - The arthritis pain comes and goes.  I find the pain in my elbow is worse when I don't use my arm; I wake up at night when I try to turn over because of the pain.  I need to find a pain reliever that doesn't upset my stomach.  Ibuprofen makes me nauseous, and Aleve is even worse.  Tylenol unfortunately doesn't take the pain away.  :P

 - The rain has calmed down a bit.  At least it hasn't rained these past 3 days, which is nice since the kids had their field days at school.  From the look of it that trend will end soon, though.  The skies are grey right now and weather lady says tomorrow's rain chance is 50%.

I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow morning, preparing a special breakfast for my (now) 7th grader, then getting to work painting.  Have a great rest of your week folks!

No comments: