Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Half way through the week, I've gotten half the outdoor furniture back outdoors.  We've gotten a couple of days of sunshine (not including the quick shower this morning) and while the ground is still pretty saturated, at least the flood in my yard is gone.  There's a couple of new lakes in the neighborhood, courtesy of tropical storm Isaac, but I think they'll be receding soon too.  For now, let's get some hodgepodge questions done.  Thanks to Joyce, From This Side of the Pond, for this blog hop.


1. Americans will celebrate Labor Day this coming weekend. Do you know what we're actually celebrating? (without consulting your friends Google or wikipedia, ahem) What's a project you're currently 'laboring' over?
I can't say if this is the same in the States, but in Latin American countries labor day is known as "el dia del trabajador", or Worker's Day.  It's a day to appreciate all the work that is done by our parents, spouses, children, community.

2. Labor Day also signals the unofficial end of summer for most of us...what summer food will you miss the most? If you're in the southern hemisphere feel free to substitute winter for summer.
What if you live in the middle?  Summer doesn't exactly end in South Florida.  It gets replaced with hurricane season, then tourist season, then love bug (or mosquito) season.  One of the great things about living here is, you don't need to give up any of the summer foods or activities we love.

3. A well known proverb states, 'It's easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission.' Your thoughts?
I don't know about whether it's easier, but it's certainly wiser to be forgiving.  "For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You." - Psalm 86:5.  Not only that, but it's also necessary.  "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." - Matthew 6:14-15.  However, doing something you know is wrong and expecting people to just be "forgiving" is a wrong attitude.

4. Food critic, film critic, book critic, art critic....which hat would you most like to wear?
I don't understand art, and I'm not a big movie buff, so those two get crossed off the list.  That leaves food and book critic.  I love eating, and I love reading.  I'd have a hard time choosing.  I think if I really had to, I'd pick books first with food as a close second.

5. When you were a kid, who (besides your parents) was your favorite adult?
That would be my aunt Eloise.  She was the coolest adult because she'd listen to me, talk to me, joke around with me, and treat me like a person, not like a kid.

6. The astronaut, Neil Armstrong, passed away last week. He was regarded as a hero by many generations of people all around the world. Do we still have modern day heroes? What makes someone a hero?
Character qualities and integrity are the two most important traits a hero can have.  Money, fame, celebrity...those things don't make heroes.  A person can be relatively unknown to most but still be a hero to those around him/her.  Yes, there are modern day heroes.  Sadly, they are few and far between.

7. I never get tired of __________________.
I never get tired of thanking Jesus for salvation.  I don't know what my life would be like right now if it weren't for my relationship with the Lord.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
The church where my daughter interns was supposed to do a promo this past weekend for a couple's retreat.  They were going to give out roses to all the ladies.  Those roses were in my home on Friday, ready to have little notes attached to them on Saturday, when we found out church services were cancelled thanks to tropical storm Isaac.  Since the flowers wouldn't last for a whole week, they were returned to the person in charge at the church office, who let us keep whatever we wanted.  Here is one of the arrangements (my favorite, in fact):


Have a blessed rest of your week.

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Gorgeous roses! I'm glad you got to enjoy them : )

Veronica and Daniel said...

I LOVE your answer for #7! I never get tired of that either :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful flowers!