Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge


It's the middle of the week already, and time for some Wednesday Hodgepodge courtesy of Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond.  Joyce is continuing some of the Olympic questions.  Won't you join us?

1. In an effort to combat obesity, the mayor of NYC has plans to ban the sale of large sugary drinks (anything over 16 oz.), initially in restaurants, movie theatres, and street carts. Corner stores would also be affected if they are defined as food service establishments. You can read more here. Your thoughts?

I appreciate the mayor's concerns and his goodwill, but I believe he's going about it the wrong way.  Taking something away as training is what we do with toddlers, not adults.  Adults need to be educated.  It's easy to say to a toddler, "You can't have this," hide it and eventually the toddler will forget about it.  Take something away from an adult and the adult will find another way to get it.  Isn't that what prohibition taught us?  Mr. Mayor, you have a good heart, but I think this method will leave you sadly disappointed.

2. Art festival, music festival, food festival...which would you most like to attend?

Food festival, definitely.  I'm not an artsy-fartsy type of person, and I've already been to music festivals, so a food festival would be a nice change of pace.

3. What are you irrational about?

Irrational?!  I'm not irrational about anything!  Ask my kids!  (No, wait, don't ask my kids).

My daughter says I'm irrational about how I organize the shopping cart at the grocery store.  I place all the frozen items on the left, refrigerator items on the right, pantry items in the middle and non-food items at the end.  She says the cashier doesn't care about how neatly I organize the shopping cart because they pack things willy-nilly.  I disagree with her.  I think I'm totally rational.  It's the cashier that's being irrational.

4. Do you feel confident you'll have a comfortable retirement?

I don't know if my retirement will be comfortable according to some people's standards, but I hope that I will be content with whatever the Lord gives me, whether it's a condo on a beach, a home with a large garden, or a space in a nursing home.  It may sound irresponsible to some people, but I'm not stressing about my retirement.  I'm trusting the Lord to take care of my future.  "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." - Matthew 6:34.


5. What's been your favorite Olympic moment so far?
(Not ever, just in the 2012 Summer games.)

I'll be honest, I haven't been consistent in watching the Olympics this year.  I catch some games here and there but I'm not glued to the TV or any such thing.  I've watched some swimming, track and gymnastics.  Last night I watched Pearson win gold for Australia and was happy for her.  US took silver and bronze and thanked God for their success.  I enjoyed watching that.

6. What would you label as the messiest room in your house?

Right now that would be the garage.  Since my kids moved back home and brought all their things with them, I've had to put them in the garage until my son saves up enough money to get his own place.  It's not messy, more like cluttered, with boxes piled up and a sofa next to the pool table.  Inside my house it's kept mess-free.  My kids would say I'm irrational about that too.  But what do they know.

7. Do you follow your heart or your head?

I always follow my head.  I have to think things through and find the logic in everything.  I wish I was more of a follow my heart type person, but I've learned that God created me this way, as an intellectual and a thinker.  I also know that in important matters, He does move in my heart and I can trust Him.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

My daughter had orientation yesterday for her new job at the orphanage.  She spent the entire day learning about what you can and cannot do with the children, how they must be treated and handled, that sort of thing.  And I suddenly wished I could bring a couple of them home with me for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas.  I don't know if that was just a whim or something God is speaking to me about.  Do I follow my head or my heart?  I choose to wait.  Wait on the Lord.  He'll let me know.

5 comments:

Joyce said...

Oh, it's totally the checker/bagger who is irrational : ) I put all the cold stuff together and then the bagger mixes it up. Makes me crazy so I like to bag my own.

Nani said...

When I shop with my husband, he get a little militant about the bagging, and he should; We keep things group on the conveyor belt and one of out grocery bags is an insulated bag for frozen stuff. We tell them "The Hershey bag is for the frozen stuff" and he still has to pull a can or two out to make room for the ice cream.

Mrs. O said...

Here's what's funny about NYC and the whole sugar/salt "ban" the Mayor is starting. At the County courthouses, the vending machines had 16oz sodas, chips, and candy. NO unsweetened iced tea. The only healthy thing in there was water and there were more sodas, sugar-laden juices and sweetened teas than there was water. I guess when the city is making money on the junk food, the constituents' health isn't that much of a concern.

Empty Nester said...

I try to organize my grocery items too. And the casihers and baggers really do appreciate my efforts. After all, they try to bag the groceries like with like items so why not help them out? I enjoyed your answers!

Jocelyn said...

lol! I do the same with my groceries! And I hope God gives you a clear answer about bringing some of them home :)