Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Chats on the Farmhouse Porch


It's a cloudy morning in my neck of the woods.  Good thing Patrice's porch is covered!  Pull up a chair, your favorite coffee, and let's have a chat on the porch at Everyday Ruralty.


1. Please tell me a fond autumn memory. Or tell me something interesting you're doing now that fall is here.
My fond autumn memories are all centered around Thanksgiving.  I used to have my husband's family over for Thanksgiving, and it would take me a couple of weeks to get the house and meal ready.  Last Thanksgiving I went to Orlando and spent Thanksgiving there with my children and no one else.  My daughter and I cooked the meal, we enjoyed eating and watching movies, and my youngest son dressed up in his older brother's costumes, which made us roar with laughter.  That's the happiest and best Thanksgiving on record.

2. What's your favorite kind of cheese?
Ah, cheese.  I like cheese.  Swiss cheese, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese...unfortunately, cheese doesn't like me.  I'm lactose intolerant.  The pain isn't worth the pleasure :(

3. Have you ever been in a wedding, other than your own (if applicable)?
Yes, years ago I was a bridesmaid in a wedding.  I was 16 years old.  Then I was maid of honor at my younger sister's wedding in 2002.  Her 10th anniversary is coming up :)

4. Did you ever do anything as a child to earn money? (Lemon aid stand, crafts, mother's helper, chores, etc.)
My uncle was the super for our building, and he'd buy used stoves and refrigerators to replace broken ones in the apartments.  He'd pay me $5 each to scrub them clean.

5. Do you wear a watch?
Only when I get dressed up, like for church.  I don't wear much jewelry on a regular basis.  As a matter of fact, I own 3 watches but 2 of them need new batteries and I haven't bothered to replace them.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Arlene!

I love Autumn too - In fact, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! I just love the sounds and smells and feel of Thanksgiving . . . and family!

I love cheese too - the sharper the better!

I used to help a lot when I was a child, but I can't remember every getting money for it! I'm sure cleaning stoves and refrigerators sure was a hard job! But, 5.00 was huge when we were kids... :0)

I don't wear a watch either - I have several, but like you the batteries are dead. I was told once that some people's bodies jut run down the batteries in watches - I'm one of them.

Hope your son is recovering nicely from his surgery! Blessings to him!

Have a great day!

Hugs,
Barb

Patrice said...

I love Thanksgiving! So sorry cheese doesn't agree with you. My sister has touble with that too. HAve a great week!

collettakay said...

I'd be so sad not to be able to eat cheese :(

Sometimes starting new traditions are the best!

Here's my chat:

http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2012/09/chats-on-porch-92612.html

Colletta