Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge


It's the middle of the week, time for some Wednesday Hodgepodge courtesy of Joyce From This Side of the Pond.  Won't you give it a try?


1. In your opinion what's the most important job in the world? Oh, and parenting is a given so besides parenting, what's the most important job in the world?
The second most important job after parenting?  I would have to say teaching.  Whether it's teaching students in school or pastoring in a church, a teacher has the important job of not only imparting wisdom but also setting the example in their own lives.

2. Share a favorite or not so favorite memory from a childhood birthday.
Because we were raised in the Jehovah's Witness faith, I have no celebratory memories of my birthdays.  I do remember when I was 8 years old asking my mom if perhaps she'd forgotten to tell me I'd had a birthday because it seemed I'd been 8 years old for a very long time.  Oh, how I wish birthdays took a long time now!

3. Peanut butter-crunchy or smooth?
I do like crunchy peanut butter, but I have colon issues when I have it.  (Is that too much information?)  So now I stick with smooth.

4. William Butler Yeats is credited as saying, "Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing." Your thoughts?
Happiness I believe is based solely on circumstances.  When our circumstances are good, we're happy; when they aren't, we're unhappy.  We can go from happy to unhappy in a matter of seconds and through no fault of our own.  Joy, on the other hand, is a fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:21-22).  When the Holy Spirit lives in us, we experience joy, and the closer we are to God the more joy we experience.  Therefore, I would take Mr. Yeats's quote and replace the word Happiness with Joyfulness.

5. What's something that makes you cringe?
Bugs in general, but only if they are near enough to get on me.  I don't mind bugs, so long as they don't touch me.  That's when I cringe.

6. Name a song that always puts you in a good mood?
A song by Francesca Battistelli called "This Is The Stuff."  It talks about how we get upset over the little hiccups in life and we forget how blessed we are.

7. The answer is yes. What's the question?
Is Jesus the Lord and Savior of my life?

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I was surprised to find that, despite the heavy downpour this morning, it wasn't as hot and sticky when I took Molly for her walk as it has been.  Can it be fall weather will arrive early in South Florida this year?  Fall weather for us is warm but not humid.  It'll still be in the 80s but there's a breeze and it isn't sticky and uncomfortable.  I'm looking forward to that kind of weather again, and to have it come early is a definite bonus.

5 comments:

April said...

We've had a long, HOT summer here in Georgia, so I'm more than ready for the arrival of fall and less humidity. Great answer to #1!

Nani said...

80s and a breeze is perfect! I agree, it does seem like I was 15 a lot longer than I was 45. :)

Empty Nester said...

Fall is usually cooler here-in the 60s and 70s but it never showed up last season. Neither did winter. So it's been hot for over a year- and I'm sick of it! :) I wish birthdays took a long time now too!

Veronica and Daniel said...

I never quite understood why Jehovah's Witnesses dont celebrate birthdays - it kind of makes me sad that kids grow up with no birthday parties - they are so fun - sorry, not trying to be rude, I just have such fun birthday memories from when I was a child :) I love your answer to #1 and said teachers as well. Bring on the cool fall weather - this summer heat has made me want to move to Canada! To hot for this girl :)

Joyce said...

Bugs that are going to crunch when I squash them make me cringe : )

Enjoy your cooler weather!