Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Welcome to Wednesday, and to the Hodgepodge, which took some time off thanks to Hurricane Sandy.  It's back, and you can join in by visiting Joyce at From This Side of the Pond.


1.  What rule of life should never be broken?
Jesus taught us two rules; two commands in which all the commandments would be met.  "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself." - Matthew 22:37-39.  These rules should never be broken.  I can only imagine what a wonderful world this would be if they were always obeyed.

2.  What's your favorite family recipe?
I think my favorite recipe that I make very similar to how my mom taught me is baked ham.  I like using the cloves and the pineapple, though I don't add the maraschino cherries.  There are many recipes my mom taught me that I've modified over the years to suit my family, so it's hard to call them true family recipes.

3.  Is the media manipulative?
Absolutely!  Depending on which television station you watch or newspaper you read, you will always get a one-sided story.  It's very unfair to the public, but after all the media is run by humans, and humans are easily persuaded.

4. Hubs and I saw Skyfall last weekend...are you a fan of the Bond films? If so, who's your favorite Bond?
I have watched many of the Bond films, though I haven't watched them in years.  I've always liked Roger Moore.  He gave the character a distinct sense of humor.

5. What is one thing you hope people never say about you?
That I don't care enough.  I'm an introvert, so sometimes it's hard for me to show people that I care.  I don't want anyone to think I'm selfish and uncaring just because I don't always know what to say or how to express my feelings.

6.  What's a nearby tourist attraction you'd like to see, but haven't gotten around to visiting?
I've lived in South Florida since 1987, and I've never been to Key West.  Hopefully when I decide to go it'll still be there ;).

7.  Where's your favorite tree?
All over the beautiful state of Florida.  My favorite trees are orange trees.  They have dark green foliage, which contrast the color of the oranges perfectly.  And the smell!  Oh my word, it's absolutely delicious!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
I've got a nice little stash of Christmas presents already wrapped and waiting in my closet for the Christmas tree to make its appearance.  We always put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving.  Have you counted?  It's only 8 days till Thanksgiving - just over a week!

11 comments:

Julia @ Mini Van Dreams said...

Hello! Hopped over from the Hodgepodge. I LOVE your blog background. Very beautiful. I agree on Roger Moore... he did give Bond that dry sense of humor the others lack.

Julia
www.momontherunx2.net

Anonymous said...

just visiting from hodgepodge.....blessings

Skoots1moM said...

yeah, Roger Moore...i have a few things bought but nothing wrapped yet ;)

Kim said...

You have Christmas presents already wrapped?? Jealous! I haven't even started yet, but I have the day off tomorrow so look out!! ;)

Mary said...

We'll be in the Keys right after Christmas! I bet the orange trees smell just wonderful. Must be nice to be able to just walk outside and pick an orange!

Tracy said...

So do you put the wrapped presents under the tree right away? That would drive me crazy with anticipation.

Arlene said...

Tracy: Ever since my older kids were little, I would put one gift under the tree every night for each of them, till there were no more. The excitement each morning of getting up to see if there was anything new was only surpassed by the exhilaration of opening them on Christmas morning. It's a tradition that continues to this day.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Oh my, I could have written #5! ;-)

DH and I LOVE South Florida. We are Cardinals fans and have come to Spring Training every March since we've retired, and we always stay in South Florida (and drive up to Jupiter for the day we go to the game). We visited Key West a couple of years ago - on a whim - for a day and a half. I was a little reluctant to go because of the reputation that Key West has (even the TV commercials are pretty blatant), but we didn't encounter anything that was distasteful or uncomfortable to us. In fact, we'd like to go back and spend more time in Key West - and the rest of the Keys, too.

J.Day said...

You have a stash of Christmas presents already??? Oh dear. I have yet to start. lol

Jhona O. said...

I hope you get to visit the Keys someday soon. I enjoyed visiting your Hodgepodge. Hope you have a great weekend!

Lighthousegal said...

A secret stash of presents already wrapped, you are on the ball aren't you. I have a few gifts bought but not wrapped.
Those Orange Trees do smell amazing. One year while on vacation in Florida we stopped at a roadside stand near the field of orange trees and the smell was awesome.