Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Happy day before Thanksgiving!  I baked an apple pie that left the kitchen smelling scrumptious, and the turkey is in the brine.  Time for some Wednesday Hodgepodge, hosted by Joyce, From This Side of the Pond.


1. Turkey-love it or leave it?  White meat or dark?  What's your favorite thing to make using leftover turkey?
First off, love turkey!  Especially since I learned to brine it - what a difference it makes!  I prefer white meat both when it comes to turkey and to chicken.  I plan to make turkey pot pie with the leftovers, if my kids don't attack them first to make sandwiches.

2. Gotta burn off all those carbs the day after a holiday feast so which would you rather do-run a 10K or climb a mountain?
Ugh, exercise! ;)  If I had to choose, it would be the 10K.  I'd much rather run on flat land than try to climb anything.

3.  Do you feel like social networking has made your relationships better or worse?  Explain.
Social networking is cool, it keeps me in touch with family that's far away and I've found some friends from school that I may have never found again any other way.  You just have to be careful.  Some people put way too much personal information on those sites.

4. How do you find and express gratitude for the hard things in your life?
I remember what Jesus did for me on the cross.  No matter how bad things may seem, they're never as bad as what He had to suffer for me, and thanks to His sacrifice I know things won't stay bad forever.

5.  In the US, the day after Thanksgiving has been dubbed 'Black Friday'.  Is most of your holiday shopping done live and in person, or is it done more through the magic of the Internet? How do you feel about stores opening at midnight Thanksgiving night? Will you be out amongst the masses on Friday?
I will most certainly NOT be among the Black Friday shoppers.  I think it's a travesty, making hard working folks leave their homes and family to work in stores so retailers can show a good profit margin.  Maybe that's why our economy is so bad - we've put more emphasis on money than on people.  My own shopping is done before Thanksgiving even rolls around, some online and some in the stores.  The presents are purchased and wrapped already except for a couple of books I ordered that won't be released till next month.

6.  Speaking of the color black-which black item in your wardrobe would you say is your favorite?
That would probably be my black pencil skirt.  It goes with everything, making it a perfect go to item in a pinch.

7.  What do you appreciate about your life today?
I appreciate my relationship with Jesus.  I appreciate my family, those that live near and the ones that are far. I appreciate my church family.  I appreciate the men and women who are far from their families today because they're fighting to protect my freedom so that I can enjoy Thanksgiving with my family.  There is just so much to be thankful for.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
To all the servicemen and women who won't be home for Thanksgiving this year, thank you.  Thank you for your sacrifice.  Thank you for your selflessness.  You are in my prayers each day.

No comments: