Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge


It doesn't feel like Wednesday; it feels more like Tuesday because Monday was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday and it felt more like a Sunday.  Let's hope my Wednesday Hodgepodge post gets me back on schedule.  If you're confused too, try a Wednesday Hodgepodge post by visiting Joyce, From This Side of the Pond.


1. The popular saying, 'All is fair in love and war' is originally credited to English writer John Lyly.  Is he right?

I don't believe so.  I think that phrase sounds like chaos.

2. Are you a cereal eater?  What's your favorite kind?

I get into cereal kicks every so often.  My favorite cereal right now is Smart Start, when I'm in the mood for it.

3. A five year old in Pennsylvania was recently given a ten day school suspension for talking with a friend about shooting one another with a Hello Kitty Bubble gun (the gun blows bubbles).  She did not have the gun with her at school.

A psychological evaluation was also ordered and the incident was recorded on her permanent record.  The suspension was later reduced to two days and her parents are suing to have the incident removed from her file. Your thoughts?  (If you missed the story click here for details).

It sounds like we've taken stupid to a whole new level.  Can you imagine what would happen if kids started playing cowboys and indians in the schoolyard like we did when we were little?  You know, back when gun control wasn't an issue?

4. Whatever happened to_____________________________?

Whatever happened to predictability?  The milkman, the paper boy, evening TV?  (From the theme song for the show Full House)

5.  January 23rd is National Handwriting Day, billed as a day to reacquaint yourself with a pen and pencil.  Do you like your handwriting? Do you prefer to print or write in cursive?  This date was chosen because its the birth date of John Hancock. What's the last thing you signed your name to?

I do like my handwriting because it's legible and neat.  I don't know if I prefer to print or write in cursive; it's more about what I'm writing, I think.  If I'm filling in an application of some kind I print.  If I'm taking notes at church I'll write in cursive.  The last thing I signed was paperwork at the doctor's office.

6. Speaking of John Hancock...ever been to Philadelphia? Do you have any desire to visit the city of Brotherly Love?

Yes, many many years ago.  I would love to go again and visit all the historical sites.

7.  Share something funny you've heard a child say.

We have a restaurant in our area called Smash Burger.  Our pastor's son, who is 3 years old, heard the name and exclaimed, "Hulk smash burger!"  I thought that was so cute!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I was watching a British show on Netflix called Keeping Up Appearances.  It's a hilarious show if you care to see it.  The show was taped in 1990.  I was amazed at how much things have changed in the last 20 some odd years.  The woman, Hyacinth, was showing off her mobile phone, a novelty at the time.  Most people used payphones.  Now even kindergarteners have their own cell phones with Internet access and everything.  Just 20 years, and it's like we live in a whole different world.  And you know what?  I miss the days when information wasn't so accessible and life was more private.  What do you say?

3 comments:

Madonna said...

speaking of payphones, I recently broke down while traveling and naturally didn't have a cell phone with me. There was not one pay phone at any of the 3 gas stations at the exit ramp. Thankfully the very nice woman at the post office let me use her phone. I know everyone has cells these days but I didn't realize that pay phones had become obsolete.

Clairity said...

I can't believe how dependent we have become on our cellphones. For me, it's a case of you can't live with it, you can't live without it.

Joyce said...

I recently saw a whole list of things on the internet that this generation will never know. You can't slam down a cell phone....just sayin' : )