Thursday, August 15, 2013

Observing My Senses

For Today, August 15, 2013...

I am seeing...rain, lots and lots of rain.  Come to think of it, this is the first time it's rained this week.  Considering how much rain we've gotten this summer, I think that's a record.

I am feeling...the money crunch.  I spent $225 on school supplies for my son, mostly clothes.  The boy outgrows his pants faster than I can keep up.  I had him try on his school pants from last semester and only 2 of them fit, so I had to go out and get him 3 new pairs.  Then I had him try on his school t-shirts.  They are an adult small, but on him they almost looked childish.  His shirts are only sold once a month at his school, so I had to go this past Tuesday and get 5 t's (they are $10 each or $45 for 5).  Then yesterday I went for new glasses.  I've needed new ones for a while, since the ones I have do nothing for my reading or computer use (I usually take them off to read which is a waste), and although my current glasses are only about 1 1/2 years old they're pretty scratched up.  The kid's dad took out vision insurance and kept pestering me to use it, so I did.  Well, I will say it saved me some money.  Between the eye exam and the glasses, which I got at Costco to save even more money, the bill came out to $249.99.  After insurance coverage I ended up paying $144.99.  I'm glad I saved $105 with the insurance, but it's still more than what I had expected to pay.  Turns out the insurance covers the eye exam and frames but not the lenses.  Progressive lenses are not cheap.  Add to that the $35 in deductibles and...let's just say I'm gonna have to be cautious with my spending the rest of this month.

I am hearing...the occasional bird chirping, rain water dripping off the roof, and a very quiet house.  Rainy days are like lullabies in this house.

I am tasting...the coffee I had with my breakfast this morning.

I am smelling...chicken taco chili in the crock pot.  My daughter found a recipe on the internet which I've been tweaking.  Once I get it where I want it I'll post my version.

It just takes a moment to observe your surroundings.  Won't you join me?

No comments: