Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Wacky Weather Wednesday

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.  I've walked into another dimension, one with temperatures way below what they normally are this time of year.  We woke up to 47 degrees today.  This is highly unusual in South Florida overall, but even more so at the beginning of December.  We typically don't see temps this low until late December or early January.  For us, having temperatures in the 40's on Christmas means we're gonna have a cold winter; it's December 10th and the forecast calls for 40's and 50's for the next week.  I think it's safe to say, this winter will be frigid.

Today my son had a pretty packed school schedule.  Interesting how it works:  Monday and Tuesday we had nothing to do other than school, and his schedule was light.  Tonight we have church; E has youth group and I serve in Awana.  So of course today he has a heavier schedule :P.  I'm thankful, though, that homeschooling gives us such flexibility.  He finished one of today's assignments yesterday.  His music assignment isn't due till tomorrow so it's not pressing.  He has 3 online classes to attend today, plus his English and science assignments to turn in.  Once that's done, if he has time he can work on music or leave it for tomorrow.  He doesn't feel pressured by deadlines, yet he's way ahead in all his classes.  Public schools could learn a lot from homeschool.  Of course there are the cons, the inevitable glitches that come from doing schoolwork (or any other kind of work) over the internet.  The connection to the school link was giving us problems.  I literally had to shut down my computer and start it back up because it just froze.  The good thing is, all the live lessons are recorded, so if my son needs anything he can always go back and listen to the lesson again.  They've really taken care of things.  Once the internet was back on track, he finished the classes he needed to get done.

After our run yesterday I decided the weather was perfect for putting up some Christmas lights.  I only wanted to get them up around the garage and the entrance; it's hard to get around the plants and trees on the other side of the house.  E and I worked for an hour, and it was looking really good.  Then I tried to plug them in.  I'd done it again.  I put the lights up backwards.  The plug is on one side of the 2 car garage, and the outlet is on the other side of the entryway.  I can't put an extension cord without it going all over my driveway.  It was past 5:30 and starting to get dark, so I had to quit my work and leave the lights to be fixed today or tomorrow.  I was so bummed; my intention was to surprise my daughter when she got home from work.  She was surprised, alright.  First thing she said when she walked in was, "Do you realize the lights aren't turned on?"  And then she laughed at me.  I'm glad I was at least able to bring some comic relief into her life :P.

My first Bare Escentuals order came in today!  Let me just give a quick rundown of all I got:  first off, I got 2 Prime Time eye primer shadow which I am SO glad I got.  I've always had dry skin, but lately I've noticed my skin getting oilier around the t-zone area and especially my eyelids.  I cleanse and moisturize daily so I know that's not the reason; it's just my skin adjusting to a new season of life I suppose.  I'm not upset that my skin has gotten a bit oilier, since it was always so dry.  It just means I have to take measures to keep my skin from getting too oily.  It also means I have to make adjustments in my makeup, hence the eyelid primers.  With such oily eyelids my eye makeup would crease and the colors would blend, making them look mushed up if that makes sense.  I have been using my regular primer on my eyelids and it has helped, but I'm hoping these primers which are also base shadows will do a better job.  The colors are nude glow and gold nugget; nice neutral transition shades.

Also for the eyes, I got 3 new eye shadows.  Oasis is a stunning green which I'm really excited about because I don't have any green eye shadows!  Brown eyes look very nice with green eye shadow so I can't wait to try it, especially since it looks like a nice holiday color!  Mai Tai is more on the orange-y side, brighter than I'm used to but I have to actually try it and see how it looks.  Lastly, Velvet Vanilla is a light powder similar to Vanilla Sugar but not as glittery.  I also got a much needed eyeliner pencil in bronze - my brown pencil is down to almost nothing since it's the one I use the most.

The blush that came with the set is called Exhilarate, and it's a bright rosy pink.  I've needed blush for some time; the one I have I need to layer on thick so it'll show.  That defeats the purpose of trying to use less makeup.  This color looks really pigmented and it's a lovely shade of pink.

Next, lip colors.  I got a beautiful lipstick/lipliner combo in Get Ready which is a dusty rose color.  I usually use brighter pinks but this is a pretty color for evening.  Then I got 2 lip glosses, one called Plumtini (easy to guess what color that is) and the other Apricot Nectar (also pretty easy to figure out).  These are mini sizes which are fine; I don't usually use lip glosses except over lipsticks if they are drying.

The kit brought a nice two sided concealer brush.  While I wasn't looking for one, I'm glad this one came with the set.  The large side is perfect for under the eyes, and the smaller side is great for around my nose which gets red especially during allergy season, so this was a great plus.  Add to that the pastel yellow makeup bag and I got 13 items for $30.  Happy birthday to me!!


Awana went very well tonight.  It is awesome to hear the girls encourage one another, and oh how they learn those bible verses!  I'm privileged and humbled that God would use me to plant His words in their precious hearts.  I wonder if these girls know how much I learn from them and how much they bless me each week.

We're back home now.  It's just me and E; my oldest son R is at work, and my daughter A is at a funeral.  A girl from her youth group sent a group text out yesterday asking for prayer for a girl in her dance class; she'd passed out and wasn't breathing, and the ambulance had rushed her to the hospital.  My daughter told me it was a girl who'd been to youth group before.  Shortly afterwards she got an email from the church asking for prayer as well.  A couple of hours later she got the news that the girl, who was just 11 years old, was now with Jesus.  Apparently she'd had a heart attack.  I guess she had some undetected heart disease, though I don't know for sure.  I cannot imagine the pain and anguish her family must be feeling right now; just thinking about it drains me emotionally, and I didn't even know the girl.  It's a reminder that our lives are fleeting.  We have to live each day like it's our last, because tomorrow is not guaranteed.  I will be praying for this family.

The dishes are washed, everything's put away, it's time to get washed up and ready for bed.  Oh, in my kit I also got a sample of Bare Minerals' Active Cell Renewal Night Serum.  It's a product that helps "maximize cellular renewal and hydrate skin overnight," to provide "skin that looks firmer, healthier and younger."  Sure, I'll give it a try.  I don't know that I'm gonna be dishing out $50 for one fluid ounce of this in the future, but I'm not against trying out a freebie.

That was my day today.  Thanks for stopping by.  God bless.

No comments: