Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Health-Wise Wednesdays

Today I weighed in at 133.8 lbs, which is still between 130 and 135 so I'm good. I don't want to focus on whether I gained or lost, but rather that I stay in a healthy range. Weight can fluctuate, especially for women, so fretting over a few ounces one week can derail months worth of successes. Can't let that happen, for sure!

I've decided to include a recipe this week, one that's easy to make and healthy as well. Yesterday I made one of our favorites, Southwestern Chicken Soup. It takes all of 30 minutes to prepare, and the best part is that one serving has 250 calories. It's got lots of veggies and is very filling. Hope you try and enjoy.

Southwestern Chicken Soup

1 lb. chicken breast tenders, diced
1 tsp poultry seasoning (I use Mrs. Dash Grilling Seasoning for chicken)
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium sized zucchini, small dice
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 - 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
2-3 cups chicken stock (depending how thick you like your soup)
1 can mexicorn

In a hot soup pot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add chicken to pot. Season with poultry seasoning, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Lightly brown chicken on each side. Add zucchini, onions and garlic. Cook vegetables with chicken 5 - 7 minutes to soften. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and stock. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium low. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add mexicorn. Stir, turn heat to low for another 5 minutes. Serve with corn chips, shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese, or sour cream. For a spicier version, add 1 -2 chipotle in adobo peppers with the vegetables.

Eating healthy doesn't mean eating tasteless. Try this soup on for size, and see if it doesn't become one of your family's favorites too!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I'm joining you, as you saw! Thanks for the recipe, they are so helpful! I would deffinately be down for reading any crockpot recipes you post, or tips that you have. I'm pretty new to it!