Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Health-Wise Wednesdays

I weighed in at 132.4 lbs today. I'm thrilled that I'm maintaining my weight between 131 and 133 each week. Maintenance has been tough for me in the past; keeping a close watch on what I eat has helped me overcome that.

And how do I keep watch? By measuring calories and food portion size. It also helps to make meals that are low in fat, like in my trusty crockpot. Here's a recipe for jambalaya that has only 193 calories per serving, only 8 grams of fat, is filling and nutritious, and is easy to make. Can you beat that?! Not with a stick.

Homemade Jambalaya

6 chicken tenders, cut into bite sized pieces
1 polish kielbasa sausage link, sliced
1 medium sized onion, chopped
1 medium sized bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1 14oz. can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 14oz. can diced tomatoes with chilis
1 tbs. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. Creole seasoning
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined

Put all ingredients except shrimp into crock pot on medium for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Stir in shrimp and cook an additional 45 minutes. Serve over white rice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh crud, what was I going to write? *Thinks*

Oh yes, the Jambalaya... it was one of my favorite dishes to make when we lived in Louisiana where Cajun food was non-existent! It was the dish I made when friends would come visit!

Ours is similar.. we often change it up. Leftover pork or beef roast is a great option (we usually pair it with sausage).

Gumbo CAN be healthy as well.. especially if you throw in some okra.