Thursday, June 23, 2011

Today's Devotion

I've been reading the Psalms this month - actually since last month. One per day to meditate on. I read Psalm 37 this morning - Awesome! It's a lesson on what to do when life's circumstances disappoint us (as they so often do!).

Verse 1 - "Do not fret" - fretting gets us nowhere fast. It doesn't allow us to focus on the positive, only on the negative.

Verse 3 - "Trust in the Lord and do good" - trying to get revenge won't solve our problems. Only when we trust God and do what is right will we see improvements in our lives.

Verse 5 - "Commit your way to the Lord" - rather than try to manipulate the circumstances, give the problems to God, then obey.

Verse 7 - "Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him" - yes, wait. Be patient. He will answer in His perfect timing.

Verse 8 - "Cease from anger and forsake wrath" - rather than being angry or depressed in our circumstances, be thankful for the blessings we receive. In the midst of the storm this may be hard, but making a list of all that God has done and is doing in our lives helps us to see the whole picture and not just the momentary pain.

I've always been the type to sulk and pout when I don't get my way. The Lord is obviously working this out of me, and at times I've rebelled, but this psalm tells me that when I delight myself in the Lord He will give me the desires of my heart (verse 4). It's not that first I get the desires of my heart and then I delight in the Lord; it's the other way around. When I truly trust in His love and care for me, and believe that all things work for good, then I will see the desires of my heart fulfilled because they will also be the desires of His heart for me.

Have a blessed day.

No comments: