Monday, September 10, 2012

Pocket Pies

My sister has asked that I reveal the recipe to make what Alton Brown calls pocket pies, mini pies that can be held in the hand, similar to Hostess Fruit Pies.  I could simply explain how to make them, but it's so extremely easy that I'd be embarrassed to post just the how-to.  Instead, I'll give some pictures along with step-by-step instructions for everyone's enjoyment.

For starters, here's what you'll need:  pastry discs (found in the frozen food section of your supermarket), fillings (I use fruit pie filling from Winn-Dixie, like apple pie filling and blueberry filling, or Nutella for chocolatey pies), and oil for frying.  I use corn or canola oil, and add a little olive oil because I love the flavor.


I separate the discs, and have a small bowl of water nearby for moistening the edges.


I moisten the edges on both sides with my fingers.  This is so there is a good seal on the pies before frying.


I put the filling on top of the disc.  In this picture I've used apple pie filling.  About a tablespoon should be good; don't overfill or they won't seal properly and will leak.


Fold the pie pastry in half, then press on the edges with a fork to seal the edges tight.  Flip the pie over and do the same on the other side.


Set them in a frying pan filled with about 1/4" of oil and fry on medium heat till browned.  It'll take about a minute, minute and a half.


Flip and brown on the other side.  Once both sides are browned, remove from the pan and put on a rack or on paper towels to drain the excess oil.


These were made with blueberry pie filling.


And these are my "chocolate" pies, made with Nutella.  The process is the same; you can use any filling you like:  peach, pineapple, lemon, blackberry, raspberry, etc.


And that's it.  I know, super simple!  If you like your pies extra sweet, you can sprinkle some confectioner's sugar over the finished product, but my family likes them just like this.  They can also be baked in a 350 degree oven; don't know how long it takes but I would calculate about 15 - 20 minutes.  I'd do an egg wash on the top to keep the dough moist.  We like these because in my house everyone has a different flavor preference.  I absolutely love apple pie but my kids don't care for it.  My two older kids love blueberries but because of my allergies I can't have them :P.  My youngest son is all about chocolate.  This way I can please all palates without having to bake 3 entire pies.

As a side note:  I like my apple pocket pie warm, but my kids say the blueberry pies are better chilled.  You try them out and decide what you like best.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Barb said...

Hi Arlene!

I love this idea! I love the idea of Nutella, one of my favorite flavors! I also want my fingernails to look as pretty as yours while I'm making them - love the red!! Thank you so much for the recipe, I can't wait to try it!

Hugs,
Barb