Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge


It's an overcast day outside, but it's not a problem for me.  There's no school today due to a teacher's planning day (actually, it's Yom Kippur, but they don't call it that).  So I get to look at the clouds without having to go out into this muggy morning.  Instead, I'll answer some Wednesday Hodgepodge, courtesy of Joyce, From This Side of the Pond.


1. The Wednesday Hodgepodge this week falls on John Chapman's birth date.  He's more famously known as Johnny Appleseed...what's your favorite variety of apple?

Since I'm from NY, I grew up on apples.  My mom always bought the standards:  red delicious for eating, Granny Smiths for baking.  I like trying all kinds of varieties, but they aren't as accessible here in South Florida.  I enjoy galas and fiji apples.

2.   When did you last say 'ick'?

When my son pulled out a bag of romaine lettuce my daughter had bought and forgotten about.  It was not pretty.

3.   Do you think there's a generation gap?  Explain.

I think that, while each generation may have different views on things based on experiences, generation gaps are created when we refuse to listen to and have compassion for the opinions of others.  Young people can benefit from the wisdom of their elders, and there is much to be learned technology-wise from the youth who are more in tune with those things.  Generation gaps are broken down when we agree that every generation has something worthwhile to offer.

4.  What's on your computer screen saver?  Do you leave it alone or change it often?

I have my daughter's old computer, and her screen saver is...well, none.  Her wallpaper is a winter scene, dark with snow on the ground and on the trees, with a street light illuminating and a colorful swirl running through.  I haven't changed it; I haven't even thought about changing it.

5.  If you had the attention of the entire world for two minutes, what would you say?

"Life on earth is short.  Eternity is forever.  Use the time you have on this earth wisely if you care about your eternity.  Jesus Christ offers eternity in heaven to all who believe in Him.  Why wouldn't you take advantage of that?"

6.  Four fashion trends to try this fall are-brocade/jacquard (fancy printed fabrics), peplum, lace, and printed pants...which of these four would you be most likely to wear?

When you live in South Florida like I do, fashion trends don't change much.  We might go from flip-flops to closed shoes if the weather drops below 60 degrees.  If the temps are in the 50s, we will most likely pull out a sweater or jacket.  Of course, those temps don't visit us till December, when fall is coming to an end.  I don't see myself in brocade/jacquard, peplum or printed pants in our humid weather, so I'm gonna go with lace.

7.  What can make your bad day better?

A hug from my kids.  Or chocolate.  Or having my kids hug me while I have some chocolate.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.


This was my grandfather, my mom's father.  I'm helping my son do a heritage report for his Civics class, and I've gotten some pictures for him to include.  It's such a blessing to be able to share our family's history with my son.

3 comments:

Joyce said...

I try not to overbuy but find with just the two of us produce goes bad quickly. Ick.

Enjoy your day off!

retired not tired said...

I love that you are sharing your family history. I agree that the gap is not in the generation but in the listening.

Nani said...

Hugs and chocolate are definitely ultimate mood enhancers!