Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Y'all know what today is? 12-12-12. How cool that a date like this should fall in the middle of the week? Okay, maybe not to everyone else, but I think it's pretty nice. It's time for my Wednesday Hodgepodge post, courtesy of Joyce, From This Side of the Pond. Stick around, this should be fun.
1. So, when did you last take a walk in the woods? A stroll along the beach? A drive going nowhere in particular in the car?
Hmm, let's see. The park by my house isn't what I'd call a wooded area. Other parks are but I haven't been to any lately. I live near the beach but I rarely go. Gas prices are too high to just drive around. Oh dear, I've become a homebody.
2. Are you sending Christmas cards this year? About how many do you send? Photo card or something more traditional? How do you display the cards you receive?
I send very few cards in the mail these days. I do give cards to my neighbors, but I like doing that in person. There are about 6 neighbors that I visit and bring a card and a cake (baked by yours truly). I go the traditional route, and usually use cards that benefit some charity. I display mine in the living room.
3. What's a word you've heard too much of in the past week?
Not so much a word, but a phrase: End of the world. I'll be glad when it's 12-22-12 and that part of history is over.
4. December 13th is National Cocoa Day-are you a fan? Plain or flavored? Marshmallows or no marshmallows?
I love cocoa, but being lactose intolerant means I can't have it unless it's with lactose free milk (not the same). No marshmallows for me, thanks. They give me a stomach ache.
5. What is something you do to help alleviate the hectic pace of the Christmas season?
I make sure I get most if not all of my shopping done by Thanksgiving so I don't have to go to any stores. Grocery shopping is all I do this month. I feel sorry for the folks with the shopping carts full of stuff frantically looking for that one item that evades them.
6. Besides jewelry, what's a favorite sparkly-glittery item in your home or closet?
I have a couple of glittery ornaments on the tree. That's probably it. I'm not much into glitter.
7. Share a favorite line or two from any Christmas carol.
"Fall on your knees,
Oh hear the angel voices.
Oh night divine
Oh night when Christ was born."
8. Insert your own random thought here.
God has come through in a mighty way today. I've been wanting to buy my youngest son a drum set for some time, but they are expensive - in the $400+ range for just a shell set with no hardware, to $500+ for a cheap full set. Not in my budget. Well, a friend from my old church was selling his full drum set for $300. That is a great deal, but I didn't have $300. I had $150 to spare but that was it. I asked the Lord to make it possible if it was His will. I know E wants to learn to play, and I know God can make the impossible, possible. The friend who was selling his drum set contacted me via Facebook and asked if I was still interested - he was willing to drop the price to $250. I talked it over with my older kids, and they agreed to pitch in the balance. God is blessing my son with a drum set! I'm so excited, I'm almost afraid I'll give away the surprise! We won't pick the drum set up till the 24th - that's a whole 12 days away! God is so good!