Thursday, September 5, 2013

Observing My Senses

For Today, September 5, 2013...

I am seeing...clouds, with some blue sky trying to peek through.  We've had thunderstorms everyday this week.  Today has been the first dry day in a while.

I am feeling...thankful that my kids appear to have beaten the stomach bug.  They're both feeling much better.

I am hearing...my youngest son make funny jokes while he does his homework.  I know he easily gets distracted; by the same token, he's a funny kid.

I am tasting...the red velvet cupcake I had for dessert today.  Actually, it was only a quarter of a cupcake.  These oversized cupcakes I got at Costco have over 700 calories each.  Even a quarter of one has 190 calories.  They are absolutely delicious, absolutely decadent, the best way to end a meal.

I am smelling...the aroma of ham that still lingers after our meal.  I made a couple of ham steaks in the oven.  I like Smithfield ham slices, bone-in, reduced sodium whenever I find it.  I season the steaks with no salt seasoning, then pour a mixture of 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons pineapple juice, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard over the them.  I place them in a 13x9x2 casserole dish, cover them with pineapple slices, then bake in a 425 degree oven for about 45 minutes.  Super simple, and super delicious!

It just takes a moment to observe your surroundings.  Won't you join me?

No comments: