Monday, December 8, 2014

Monday Musings

I love this time of year.  Get up at 7 am and the house is chilly even without the air conditioner turned on.  It was in the upper 50's this morning, and the outlook is even cooler for the rest of the week.  There's even threats of mid 40's in our future.  It feels Christmas-y, if that's possible in snowless Florida.

Since the weather was so nice I opened up the windows as soon as I got up.  The breeze coming in was sweet as I prepared breakfast and checked my son's schedule for the day.  Turns out his teachers are preparing for Christmas break in two weeks, trying to get all the loose ends tied, so his week will be an easy one.  My son is thrilled; I, on the other hand, have to get creative yet again.  I'm so glad the weather is on our side this week so we can do outdoor PE.  With all the Christmas decorations out I don't want to have to move furniture around to exercise at home.

I got an email this morning from Ulta Beauty Supply:  a really nice $40 men's product set free with a $40 purchase.  This is a good thing for my kids.  They have such trouble trying to figure out what to get for their dad for Christmas because he's so picky.  He's the type that thinks products have to be expensive to be good, so he won't wear anything "cheap".  I look for deals on everything.  Not that I don't like nice stuff (everyone does, right?), but I don't want to spend a ton of money.  I like getting a big bang for my buck.  That's why I like shopping at Ulta; they have really good deals on products and a large variety.  My children's father has spent a pretty penny on their Christmas gifts, and I knew they wanted to get him something nice, but didn't know what.  Even though their dad and I are separated, I encourage them to have a relationship with their father, and to show him gratitude.  I went ahead and looked up gifts for men on Ulta's website.  I wanted to find something that would be close to the $40 minimum.  They had a really nice Clinique for Men facial kit - for $36.  Doesn't that just annoy you?  C'mon!  You're forcing me to find something else for $4, for men, which you know you don't have!  The closest item (that I knew he would use) was a Jack Black lip balm for $7.50.  I was about to delete the order, but I figured what the heck?  There was plenty in the freebie to make up for it, and it would make my kids happy to have something nice for their dad.  Of course while I was at it I checked out what sales they had, you know, for ladies ;-).  Turns out they have the Bare Minerals Delight and Dazzle gift set, which was originally $49, reduced to $34.  Subtract from that my $8 in Ulta rewards and the kit was now $26.  The kit brings 2 eyeshadows, 2 blushes, 2 eyeliners and 2 lip glosses.  I know the lip glosses alone are $18 each, so I'm getting a great bargain again.  Now everyone's happy :-D.

Lunch today was bourbon chicken.  I found a recipe a few years ago that is super simple and tastes just like the stuff you get at the mall, only it has no bourbon, just good for you stuff.  It takes about 30 minutes to make; serve it up on white rice with a side of steamed broccoli and we're good to go.  My kids love it which is also a plus.

E finished his school work in 4 hours today.  He got 100% on his PE test, 100% on his math work, and submitted the introduction to his essay on Letter From Birmingham Jail, which they are studying in English.  We decided to go to the park and do some walking and running.  It took us just under an hour to do 2 miles.  I like the fact that his school work is helping me stay in shape (bonus!).

My daughter stayed home from her church job today.  Her leg was really hurting last night, and she decided to stay and let it rest.  The doctor gave her a cream similar to Aspercreme to put on her leg for the pain, and she's scheduled to have an ultrasound done on Thursday.  I really think she just pulled a muscle really bad, but I'm glad she's having it properly checked out.  In the meantime she's taking it easy and trying not to put any pressure on her leg.  A heating pad - as the doctor prescribed - helps with the aching as well.

Shelbey has a new tutorial video up on youtube.  So does Alex G, another make-up artist I like to watch.  I'm gonna get me something to eat, check out their videos, and find another Christmas movie.  Yep, I really love this time of year.  Good night and God bless.

No comments: